Monday, September 9, 2019

Where Are The Foxes?


Yesterday [Sunday] marked two weeks since I have seen the foxes.
Prior to this, on many summer mornings one or more of them have made early forays into the small meadow below the house.
Their preference has been for first light, scouting along the edges of the wooded tangles which define our north and south boundaries where the land tips into the ravines.



Photo ops haven't done justice to the beauty of the foxes. My camera is unsophisticated and the low grey light of early morning has seemed to swirl gently about the rusty moving shapes.
This photo was taken through my bedroom window.

We became aware of the resident foxes soon after our purchase of the property.  During the winter and early spring months of house building we sometimes saw an adult fox appear from behind the barn to lope casually across the east meadow, pausing to sniff about in the drive before disappearing into the ravine. 
As spring progressed, Jim [whose hearing is sharper than mine] sometimes heard the high-pitched yipping of the fox cubs from a den at the end of the ravine.
Our neighbor [a long time resident on one of the three lots making up the Turkey Flatts property] assures me that there are three dens: the one in the southerly ravine, another to the north and a third partway along his drive. "They took over an old woodchuck burrow and made a den," he stated.

I became accustomed to seeing the foxes--often only one, sometimes a youngster accompanying one of the parents. Some mornings I've had the sense that they were barely out of sight, stealthily watching me trudge about my early chores of cat tending and plant watering. 
One morning, barely awake, I noticed Robert-the Cat poised tensely on my bedroom windowsill, ears alert, concentrating on something of importance.
Slipping from bed, I approached the window cautiously, reaching a hand to stroke Robert's long silky fur.  Below the window, a few yards away, one of the young foxes zig-zagged through the damp grass, plumy tail aloft, nose to the ground. 
Robert and I watched in equal fascination as he/she meandered down the slight slope of the meadow, stopping to rise and pounce on some hapless mouse or small insect.

I continue to look for the foxes, going repeatedly to the window each morning. During July and August the foxes established a pattern: perhaps three mornings in succession they were here, then no sign of them for the same number of days.  I told myself that they likely made their circuit earlier or later than my watch--or perhaps they were 'hunting' inside the tangle of trees and vines on the slopes of the ravines.
Perhaps their visits have become nocturnal; perhaps this is a time when the youngsters are urged away from the parental den.
I will continue to keep watch, trusting that the foxes are still in residence nearby and will again make their presence known.

8 comments:

  1. We've had one hunting in the paddock when the grass has been cut short, so he can see/hear/reach the field mice and voles better. We watched him at dusk one evening, head cocked on one side, listening for the meeces and then standing on his hind-legs in typical fox fashion to leap up and then right onto his pray - and rarely missing! What lovely photos of your visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; Since we don't keep hens we can enjoy the foxes. That characteristic 'pounce' is a pleasure to watch, though certainly a bad moment for the intended prey.
      I've only seen the foxes early in the morning; I do wonder how they spend their evenings.

      Delete
  2. As you probably know, we have foxes visit our little garden every night and have done for years. They come and go, last year we had very little one's but this year we have two young foxes who have the sweetest little faces, just like little deer.
    They hang around the back alley waiting for me to put out the dog food.
    I just never, ever get fed up with watching them each night but never try to make friends.
    I hope yours make an appearance again.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briony; Urban foxes must have to make serious adaptations to sharing their terrain so closely with humans. I'm glad that you feed them. Watching most wild animals is a delight--other than the possums who raid our garden!

      Delete
  3. The fox is my favorite woodland creature. At one time they were quite numerous around here, but now we seldom see one. Hopefully, all is well with your little fox families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hill Top; I know you by another title--and now, sadly, that blog has gone away.
      At one time [decades ago] foxes became scarce in my home state, Vermont. I hope there will always be rural fields and woods where wildlife can flourish unharmed--and I hope we'll soon see a return of our resident fox family.

      Delete
  4. I understand your interest and concern for them. We had a mother fox and four cubs playing on our sand-pile last spring; it was fascinating to watch them. Mom disappeared for a few moments and returned with a dead squirrel in her mouth. She dropped it on the ground and all the cubs went running for lunch. I do hope you spot yours again. I only saw our little family for three days and then never again. And yes...I worried about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb; How quickly the wild animals sharing our spaces seem to become 'ours'--as with your Simon.
      I began leaving tempting 'leftovers' on the edge of the garbage/compost pit thinking the foxes would relish something different than their usual fare.
      I can only hope that if their usual hunting range took them farther from our ravine, they've not met with unfriendly humans. I am missing them!

      Delete