It seemed an interesting project at the time--to replicate the quilt my g-grandmother fashioned from worn bits of aprons, shirts, house dresses.
I had rescued some of the blocks from her quilt, hand-stitched them to muslin backing so that they could be framed as wall art.
In a rush of enthusiasm I collected a number of shirts from charity shops at less than a dollar apiece.
Between more sophisticated projects I salvaged usable chunks of fabric from each shirt and paired likely colors to construct triangle/squares using the grid method which though tedious [trimming to size] results in very accurately pieced units.
I put away the project, took it out several times over a decade of moving, refurbishing houses, finally settling into the present house built from the ground up.
I considered scrapping the half-completed quilt blocks but reminded myself that I'd put in enough time I should finish.
During January and February I've pottered downstairs, slowly sorting fabric, books, notions, arranging things in the workspace Jim and Howard set up with ample cupboards and a large L-shaped counter.
Inevitably, the neglected 'shirt-tail' quilt blocks resurfaced.
I finished trimming units to size, stitched until I had 40 finished blocks which I sashed into larger units of four, using 36 of the blocks.
I've felt I should try the method termed 'quilt as you go'--but didn't want to risk spoiling a 'good' quilt top in such an experiment.
I read various instructions, watched a few you tube tutorials, coming up with a plan that was a hybrid of several methods.
If you are a quilt-maker who has felt inspired to finish a quilt in this manner--don't--unless you are prepared for aching shoulders, a kink in your neck, hours of shoving unwieldy wads of fabric through your sewing machine!
However one goes about this process there comes that point where the wodge of fabric, batting and backing is not cooperative.
Way too much 'help' with my photo op--and I should have paid more attention to lighting in the room.
It is done. The overall look of the quilt is cheerful, homespun, vintage.
I can imagine this quilt in the setting of a summer cottage, spread over a bed in a simple room; it would serve well to soften a porch chair, a warm wrap for an early morning mug of tea or coffee--a blanket to accompany a book late in the evening.
The backing doesn't please me; there are some tucks here and there. I experimented with several ways of finishing the back seams after the units were put together in rows. Not up to my standards, although sturdy enough.
A look at the quilt back.
Its a cheerful thing, if a bit gaudy.
I doubt I will use this method again on anything larger than a cushion.
Gina has asked to adopt the quilt and it will go to her house tomorrow.