Wednesday, September 11, 2019

9-11-19

We remember where we were on the morning of 9-11-01.
We were living in Riverton, Wyoming, in the house we had finished a year earlier.  
Jim left before 7, headed to the site of a house he was constructing for a customer.
I began tidying the kitchen, turning the TV to BBC America with the intention of watching the gardening show, Ground Force. 
I didn't understand the images on the screen: smoke, dust, firetrucks, rubble.
Turning to several news stations I found the same photo coverage and at last managed to grasp the basic facts being broadcast by stunned and disbelieving reporters.
We were two hours behind New York time where the horror occurred while we were still asleep.
I jumped in the truck and roared to Jim's work site, a 10 minute drive.
There the radio blasted country music as usual, no mention had been made of the disasters in NY, the downed plane in PA, the attack directed at the Pentagon.


Many of us remember our where-abouts on the day President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, and a few days later our compulsive viewing of his funeral via grainy black and white TV.
It is right that we remember days of infamy, those recent and those that impacted other generations.
It is right that we also remember those days of grim endurance and victory.
Each of us in a lifetime, accumulates our personal roster of remembrance--anniversaries of joy, of new beginnings, of loss, of heartache.
Some are shared only  with family or close friends, unacknowledged by country or world at large.

Events such as the 9/11 terrorist attack, the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the evacuation of Dunkirk [a few that come readily to mind] need to be accorded a solemn mention, year after year, decade after decade.  As Abraham Lincoln stated in his speech at the Gettysbugh battle ground, 'It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.'



September 11, 2019 has had a quiet beginning here. 
A storm swept in last evening, unexpected.
Thunder boomed, wind blew, rain drove in furiously from the east--so intense that it briefly sounded like hail. 
I had been out to water the cabbage and broccoli transplants within the hour and to sprinkle them with sevin to deter the flea beetles which have been lunching on them.
The sky to the east was pearly with an innocent pile of pale grey clouds. The air was still.
I was reading in a chair by the east windows, Jim was in his bedroom watching TV when the first blast of wind flailed through the trees along the lane.
Within seconds rain streamed down the windows, drenched the chair cushions on the east porch.
The storm passed within the half hour, though the degree of moisture on the ground this morning suggests a quieter, gentler return of showers during the night.


Shortly after full daylight I was outside collecting the variety of plastic plant pots which had been blown from the lower porch and scattered over the grass.
The red flowered cushion lifted from the back of a porch rocking chair, made a splash of color against sodden grass.
I walked the edges of the garden plots, noting that the cabbage and broccoli plants were standing up pertly--no trace of the sevin dust. 
The first blooms of purple coneflower, raised from seed this spring, are rising above their caterpillar-riddled leaves.

Four Monarch caterpillars are clinging to the defoliated stalks of milkweed.

Sunflowers are past their prime, a few small blossoms open near the bottoms of the stalks.


Cockscomb--free-loader from the Amish farm--blazes with heady color, seemingly undaunted by the long drought.
Jim is away overnight on a quest for a 'bed' to be used on a truck he is having restored.
I was invited along--a road trip of 9 hours each way.
I declined, politely I hope. 
The cats and I are keeping house. I've some music to practice; a mystery to finish reading; I may go downstairs this evening to sew more curtains.
It is a quiet day on Turkey Flatt Road--as it should be.


10 comments:

  1. It is always good to hear your news.

    Happy Fall to you and yours ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; It is not yet feeling like fall! Temps are staying in the low 90's F. Almost like Florida!

      Delete
  2. On that day, I had been out doing morning chores. When I came inside I listened to a message our son had left on our phone, "Mom are you watching all of this? Turn on the t.v. I did, then remembered that he was flying to Europe on a business trip that day. I was unable to reach him by phone. I worked myself into a stupor with worry that he was on one of those planes. Which he was not! But other mothers' sons were!

    Yay, for rain on Turkey Flatt Road! Your Home Alone day sounds perfect to me - music, reading, and sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hill; I don't think any of us could think rationally for hours--I recall trying to phone my daughter as she and her family were still living in Vermont--which didn't seem that far from NYC with madmen on the loose. We had tickets to fly 'home' out of Salt Lake City later that September--of course flights were cancelled. 9/11 changed the lives of many who were not directly involved.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your photos. The cockscomb certainly does not reach that height here. Hope you had a peaceful day. Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil; It was a quiet day--my cats for company. I finished reading the mystery at something after midnight!
    Cockscomb could become a hedge! I had never deliberately grown it, but have noted that the local Amish seem always to have it planted around their houses. I didn't collect seed when we moved last September from the farm, but no lack of seedlings appeared in the tubs of plants moved here from the farmhouse porch--seeds that had fallen from the volunteer plants. I seem to be the keeper of this particular strain of cockscomb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the morning of 9/11 I was in a dentist's chair in WRJ, VT preparing to have a root canal. I was struck by how peculiar everyone was behaving when one of the nurses appeared and told me what had happened. It was early afternoon when I finally reached home and was able to turn on the TV. It was a day that will be etched in my memory tie the end of time! I well recall sitting out on our deck in Reading, VT for those next weeks and marveling at the quiet. Without all of the air traffic one could really hear the heart beat of the earth.

    Fall has arrived here at Amen Farm. The Harvest moon is full and the skies are clear as clear can be. Today was the perfect October day with full sun, blue skies, low humidity and a stiff breeze. I noted for the first time today that the Red Maples in the swampy areas are starting to turn and soon those areas will be ablaze. We've added a second blanket to our bed as the night time temps have been in the forties. Brrrr!

    This afternoon I noticed three coyotes gathered beneath a wild Plum tree that is in our lower meadow. I can only think that today's wind caused many of the ripe plums to drop and the family was there enjoying their fill. Fun to watch. The majority of the hummingbirds have left by now but I did see one on the back feeder this morning...a straggler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mundi; We are longing for what we fondly recall as autumn weather--New England style. South-central Kentucky is still in the grip of a heat wave and drought. We fear that when the weather finally changes it will do so with dramatic abruptness.
      Our hummingbirds are still here. I was talking with a friend who passed on something she has read--that hummingbirds can be seen here as late as November--although that is not the norm.
      I wonder if the coyotes will suffer indigestion from a surfeit of plums?

      Delete
  6. I remember that day clearly too. My daughter was then aged 11, and I kept her off school as she had a shocking sore throat and I suspected tonsillitis again. I settled her on the sofa with a blanket and put the tv on to find something she could watch. all channels here too were relaying those shocking images. we were both silent, and both off us choked and tearful. Even at 11 she realised the magnitude of that terrible day. I had been in New York the previous year, and could not bear to see what I was seeing.

    Leanne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leanne; I think disbelief was the immediate reaction for most of us. How could any individual--any group--be so totally evil as to plan and carry out such destruction of life?
    9/11 and more recent attacks of violence around the world leave us unsettled and feeling vulnerable. The mourning goes deep.

    ReplyDelete