Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Finally! Several Days With No Rain!


There were quiet showers in the small hours of Sunday morning. I woke, turned on my pillow toward the open curtains of the west window, to a solid wall of white fog beyond the glass. The tree tops at the lower edge of the sloping meadow were veiled, obliterated. 
Dislodging slumberous cats, I clambered out of bed, padded around to close the window against the heavy damp. The digital weather reader on the living room wall gave the outside temperature at 70 F. with a humidity count of 96 per cent.

Glancing through the window onto the east porch I could see the hummingbird feeders were empty. With Rosie-cat at my heels I went out to collect them and discovered a female hummer beating against the inside of the screen. 

During our first two summers in this newly built house the porches were open. Hummingbirds sometimes darted in past the feeders hanging from the deep eaves of the porch. When the area was later screened, we cut a slit high up in the screen so I could reach the feeders. Over time the cut edges of the screen have rolled back and at least once a season a hummer flits through. The length of cheesecloth pinned along the opening in early summer was now tattered and no longer a deterrent to an unwitting tiny bird.
We've learned that a bird trapped inside the porch is only able to fly upwards toward the ceiling. 
Jim made a few futile swipes with cupped hands, then directed me to fetch his cap. 
With the hummingbird gently corralled by his cap he could scoop her up and toss her through the slit in the screen, none the worse for an adventure.
I hastily pulled a gridded plastic liner from a kitchen drawer; With that fastened over the slit we hope the hummers will stay on their side of the screen.


It was a day of fitful sunshine--but it didn't rain!
I wallowed about in the damp garden picking green beans, muttering grievances at the devastation wrought by by the invasion of Mexican bean beetles. I smash the greasy yellow larvae on the leaves, scrape off the clusters of tiny orange eggs each time I pick beans, but the infestation this season is bad.



Jim brought in melons and corn, went back out to dig potatoes, a muddy task accomplished over three mornings this week. The potatoes are smaller than other years, but the tops were long down and with the ground so wet it was time to lift them.
As the temperatures climb toward 90 F. by mid-mornings, we come inside to clean up and eat the first meal of the day at nearly noon.
Stepping outside for any chore is to be clobbered with a steamy blanket of humidity and heat.
We eagerly anticipate summer and gardens--by late July we are 'over it!'


My sunflowers were in regal full bloom when the storms belted through.


The tallest stalks went down, roots heaved from the soil.


In several of the black bins fat white mushrooms have colonized.

To close with a cheerful note: sheets and summer bedspreads laundered and pegged on the back porch lines! Humidity is such that the linens needed 15 minutes in the dryer to finish, still, folded and piled on closet shelves the sheets retain that scent of outdoors.












 

8 comments:

  1. It's so disheartening when something like the tall sunflowers are beat down by heavy rain storms. Those awful Bean Beetles must be disgusting to squish. Ugh.
    Nice that the hummingbird could be caught and sent on its way. When our porch was open we'd have one in the skylight from time to time.
    We have hot temperatures too but not the humidity.I just checked and ours is currently 53% (temp. 27C) At 5 P.M. it's already starting to cool off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G. M. We wait all year for certain beloved flowers to bloom, then too often they are spoiled by wind and rain.
      The battle with the bean beetles this year has me threatening to buy a case or two of Del Monte or Libbey's green beans!
      We are noticing that evening darkness comes earlier--it gives a bit of respite from the heat of the day--but not quite enough for comfort.

      Delete
  2. I struggle in high humidity like that as it affects my asthma, needless to say. Like you, I am looking at a garden which needs LOTS of - rather brutal - TLC. When it's me versus the grass, the grass wins hands down . . .

    At least you have some produce to show for your hard work. I had my first runner beans last night - 3 of them! There won't be that many more by the look of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; We've had more than the usual problem this season with a particularly coarse tussocky grass--I suspect it came in with the load of compost which seems to have been less broken down than a previous batch.
      I'm weary of gardening on this scale even though Jim does the heavy work of tilling and digging.

      Delete
  3. We have had a couple of little hummers get trapped, as you describe it, in the garage. With doors wide open they will only fly upward. I have scaled down my vegetable gardening this year; time for the younger folk to take that over. It was a mistake when I mulched with wheat straw last fall, and got a solid stand of grass in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary; Barn swallows are the only birds I've observed with the wits to fly in and out of the building where they choose to nest. Its an odd thing!
      I've threatened Jim that if he plants a big garden next year I will go in the dark of night and uproot half of it. [He knows I wouldn't--but its time to downsize.]

      Delete
  4. Well as I have no garden I am not sure what to say. Definitely downsize if gardening becomes irksome. The weather is definitely playing up and as for bugs, do you have other bugs that eats the Mexican beetles? Ladybird larvae are good here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thelma; I'm not aware of any bean beetle predator. The nasty things take up residence and lay their eggs on the underside of the leaves, chomping away until the leaves look like shriveled lace. Squash vine borers and the occasional tomato hornworms are the other menaces. I suspect the mild winters here in the mid-south encourage such pests, as we didn't experience many of them during our years of gardening in New England. The thing I've read about 'ladybirds' [called ladybugs here] is that once released in a particular garden they tend to fly off! Talking last week with a life-long area resident who is an avid gardener, his solution to delay green bean planting for a late summer crop when the Mexican beetles have run their course. [I wonder if the little horrors will have to be re-named for fear of racial slur?]

      Delete