Friday, August 2, 2024

End of July: Chaos in the Garden

I began this post on July 31st, thinking to do a wrap of weather and projects. 
Photos refused to load from my Canon camera to desktop PC in spite of several attempts. I did manage to load them onto my recently purchased and set up Dell laptop  and from there onto a blog draft, although not in the order that I selected.
Being rather persistent [even without a clear idea of what I'm attempting] I made a late evening repeat of plugging the camera into the PC--photos loaded but with a different format which seemed to indicate that 'Microsoft' had updated/installed a change. Not that I authorized such a thing! When something works, why must it be continually tweaked?  

Not surprisingly, July was hot and humid--a blend of weather that leaves me less than energized. The rather unusual factor this year was frequent rain; 
The past two weeks have featured brief but tempestuous T-storms with bouts of gusty wind and pummeling rain. 
We lost internet and land-line for a day due to storms, and there have been frequent power blips which result in going through the rooms to reset digital clocks.

Jim departed on the 22nd for a week with his twin brother in Wyoming, returning on the 30th--retrieving his pickup at M and G's in time to drive home through a downpour.

I set myself a perhaps unrealistic roster of 'things to do' while I wasn't tied to regular meal prep.
Out of bed between 6 and 7 each morning to begin the routine tending of the cats, some minimal cleaning and tidying, refilling the hummingbird feeders.
My indulgence was enjoying Kate of The Last Homely House [you tube] while sipping a half cup of cream-laced coffee or a mug of tea sweetened with honey. 



One of the tasks tackled while on my own was cutting back achillea and the New England asters which have taken over the raised bed along the east wall of the house. These plants haven't been a good fit for that area as they grow too tall and then lean over the edge of the bed, dropping seeds which sprout between the bricks of the walkway. I pruned and weeded, pried up dandelions and other pestiferous things that have overtaken the graveled area near the steps.
The humidity was punishing even with an overcast sky.
A cloudburst drove me inside before I could cart off my pile of weeds.


The cleared walkway, rain-drenched. 
Everything in this raised bed needs to be cleared out: the blackberry lilies, asters, blue prairie flax,, all raised from seed, the achilleas purchased at my favorite nursery. 
Zinnias in the tubs are this year's seedlings, some started in my little greenhouse; others self-sown into the  gravel walkway were carefully pried up and tucked into pots and tubs.


A few seedlings of coneflower hastily stuck into the south-east retaining wall strip have multiplied thuggishly. 


Red-orange seems to be the prevailing color for the zinnias.


Signet marigolds, my preference for their ferny foliage and dainty blooms, didn't germinate this year either from saved seed or from the remainder in last season's packet. 
These French marigolds were rescued from the Wal Mart garden center and coaxed back to health.



A stalk of Joe Pye Weed sprang up at the edge of the fire-damaged hybrid magnolia that still stands near the site of the former owners house [which 'mysteriously' burned to the ground two years before we bought the property.]
I first noticed this in tight bud on one of my dog-walking rounds and have delighted in marking its progress.


I feel over-whelmed by the garden. Jim has valiantly tilled, strung electric fence around his sweet corn. I have battled the horrid yellow larvae of the Mexican bean beetles, bent over rain-pummeled plants to pick the beans. The earlier crop, maturing before we had frequent rain, were lacking in tenderness.

While Jim was away, racoons spent a night feasting on sweet corn--strangely, only the one night.
I wallowed about in the mud, picking corn, discovering cucumbers that had fattened beyond appeal, harvesting green peppers, Carolina Gold tomatoes.
I sorted the good veg into two containers which went with me to church to be given to those who don't have gardens.



The first sunflowers to bloom were the volunteers from last summers scattered seeds.
Goldfinches have been flitting among the heads anxious for the seeds to mature.



Dwarf sunflowers, this season's planting on the far edge of the garden, photo taken Wednesday before two more storms swept through. 

Most of the sunflowers have been toppled, uprooted or the stalks broken.

I've picked beans from the second planting, my third planting struggles in the mud.
Tomatoes and cucumbers must be rescued from wet ground, melons brought in before various 'bugs' can drill into them.
Jim has revived the electric fence, taken over the corn harvest.

I've canned salvaged green beans and tomatoes--feeling that the yield was scarcely worth the labor.
My real accomplishments for July were projects other than gardening.
There's been a power blip as I typed this. 
It hasn't stormed since mid-morning, but there has been so much wind and rain recently that water-logged branches fall on power lines--at least that's what we are telling ourselves.
Its been a strange month!
What will August bring?










 

6 comments:

  1. Gardens are both a blessing and a bad master - I can recall cutting back overgrowths of lady's Mantle (OMG, they loved it at Ynyswen) and Aquilegias in years gone by, and the persistant and rampaging Mourning Widow Cranesbill which, despite best efforts, seems to have followed me here and has started distributing itself around the garden. This time I will limit its efforts.

    It has been hot and muggy here, and being asthmatic, I don't deal well with the humidity. I haven't done much outside bar watering in the greenhouse and dead heading a few roses. Oh, and making a space (cutting back the various pink cut-leaved Cranesbills) for a couple of plants to go in. They are very patient . . .

    I have pencilled in too much for today - catching up with Carmarthenshire friends, delivering a chair for recaning. Need to be back in time to pack the car for a car boot sale tomorrow, although what comes out of the old boxes of pre-Covid Fair stock will be a total surprise to me!

    Tam's friend Eli gifted me courgettes . . .thinking what to do with them. Courgette cake best option or I may see if my lungs will survive chutney-making . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; I was partial to Lady's mantle in my Vermont gardens years ago. I've tried it here, from seed and from purchased plants; apparently it can't take the heat and humidity of our long summers and quietly wilts into oblivion.
      I'm not asthmatic, but high humidity has always made me light-headed and cross.
      I think making the rounds of familiar sales venues will be a 'mixed blessing' for you--the break from so many weeks at home, catching up with acquaintances, but also wrenching to be there without Keith and perhaps the need to repeat the details of his long illness and passing for those who haven't kept in close touch.
      Roses: the annual influx of Japanese beetles is tapering off--if I'm vigilant I can rescue a few not too badly damaged blooms to bring inside.

      Delete
  2. I don't know which is worse...the drought we're having or the drenching downpours that you've gotten. At least with drought we can water even though we have to pay for water.
    Around this time of summer I get overwhelmed with all the outside work even with 2 of my grown kids coming to help me faithfully for an hour on Fridays. By the time they come the sun is already blazing and I feel sorry for them having to do my work. If I were younger I'd redo the entire front and back yards but that;s not an option now. I'd just have lovely organized beds not helter-skelter chaos. (Sure! Who believes that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "lovely organized beds"--my goal for more years than I recall. It never seems to happen. I suppose I'm not realistic about what I can plant and maintain, particularly at my age. Weather and growing conditions factor in--seldom a balance between drought and too much rain at once.

      Delete
  3. Chaos-in-the-garden! :~) How well I can relate to that! We are now in a hot, dry spell, after having had a fairly nice summer with ample rainfall, which has been a blessing. I have let the veggie/flower garden get the upper hand on me, and find myself thinking I might just mow it over and start anew another year. But, then I know I won't do that for there are some really good things growing there, so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary; I'm feeling disheartened about the garden--too dry all through June and then July with so much rain. I've just been outside at dusk to check on water needs for my container plants. Green beans in the raised bed looking tattered from bean beetles. I can't keep up!

      Delete