Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Thank You


It has been a week and a day since the passing of Edward the Cat.
I still need to remind myself to set out one less dish at 'teatime' when the resident felines are served their bit of canned food.
Water bowls haven't been sloshed or spilled during this week; annoying as it was to sop up spilled water it was a small price to pay for Edward's companionship.
It will be awhile yet before I am beyond expecting him to be curled on the rug at the foot of my bed or stretched in a pool of sunlight.

We who love animals and cherish their place in our lives understand the sadness that comes with the end of a pet's life.
Reading a book or watching a film wherein the cat--or dog--or horse dies at the end of the story is sure to bring a lump in the throat and a stinging of tears.
It is so when we learn that a friend's pet has left them--whether or not we know that friend or that pet in person.
I have appreciated your kind words and expressions of condolence--and I thank you.

 

2 comments:

  1. I keep looking for Theo. Like Edward, he enjoyed sloshing water - even walking the bowl round the kitchen! He'd not done that for probably several months though, but I'd not noticed. I am still struggling not to be haunted by that last visit to the vet's, as it did not go as it should have done.

    I am sorry that you feel so lost without Edward. When they have a big character, we miss them all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will get better with time, but we never forget them. Sometimes I go through my photo files of furry friends that are no longer with us just to make myself cry, I think.

    ReplyDelete