Friday, September 16, 2022

Early Departure


12 September, a cool Monday morning, 61 F. and no sun until 10 a.m.

Late on Friday [9 September] I refilled both hummingbird feeders knowing we would be away all day on Saturday.
For two weeks the birds had been guzzling syrup, whirring at the hanging feeders, jostling as though famished. We have been able to count 8 hummers for certain, sometimes thinking there was a 9th in the constantly moving groups. 
The week had been cool, the waxing moon rising after dark. Heavy clouds and light rain obscured the full moon on Saturday night, the 10th, and rain drizzled down intermittently on Sunday. 
By mid day I realized that there was little activity around the hummingbirds feeders. Parking myself in a rocking chair on the porch I settled in to watch for hummers. Only two, a male and a female, came to sip the syrup. 
I thought of the swallows massed along the power wires that line our roads--I hadn't been surprised to see them gathering; swallows are always the first to leave early in autumn, but I expected the hummingbirds to be with us yet awhile.

I've kept notes for several seasons regarding the spring arrival and fall departures of 'our' hummingbirds. The leave-taking of most of the group has occurred this year more than two weeks earlier than previously. 

Hummingbirds, so I read, do not migrate in colonies. Even those who have mated, raised young, don't fly together to winter quarters. 
Tonight the remaining pair have refreshed themselves at the feeders. 
I wonder if they--or at least one--will wait until the end of September to depart.


This was our weather on April 13, 2022 when the first hummingbird, a lone male, arrived.
I had put out a feeder several days earlier. Three days later we saw the second male. 
The female birds were in residence by the 23rd.
Mornings were cold, a reluctant sun sometimes broke through in the afternoon. 
Leaves were too new, barely showing a mist of green, scant cover for the birds.


The west wall border was flourishing by April 13th, the "Jane" magnolias were in bud.


J. brought me this hanging basket on April 13th.
Perhaps its colorful presence near the porch railing encouraged the hummers to settle in for the season.
Working in the house, I note their movements through the windows--the tiny swirling, darting bodies a part of summer's pattern. 
When the last two fly away I will miss them for awhile--but the feeders will go out to welcome them back in April.

 

8 comments:

  1. Our small family of Swallows left the first week of September or even last week August. I just noticed one day that they were no longer amongst the House Martins swooping round the house. They had fledged their last brood early in August, so were obviously ready to go. The House Martins are still around, but will soon be gone and I will look at the empty skies and miss them. Your Humming Birds will leave a similar gap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; I think we have more tree swallows locally than barn swallows but a similar migration pattern. Many of the Amish/Mennonite householders put out Purple Martin houses--formerly all contrived from large white gourds. Recently I've seen white plastic look-alikes strung on lines--they can be taken down, scrubbed, and reused for many seasons unlike the gourds which quietly rot and disintegrate as cold weather comes on. Thinking a lot lately about the patterns of the seasons where ever we live.

      Delete
  2. When we left Vermont on the 9th I brought the hummingbird feeders in for the fall/winter. I wouldn’t be there to keep them clean so decided that they would be OK feeding at the hibiscus and bougainvilleas that are still in full bloom. I am hoping that when we return the New England Asters will be in evidence and that the Red Maples will be starting their autumn spectacle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mundi; Our hummers are still enjoying the butterfly bush in the west wall garden--that one is upstoppable. I sat up late Friday evening reading the 'autumn' section of 'Hill Song' by Lee Pennock Huntington--I keep the book out to enjoy through the year. At the time of writing she lived in Rochester--the other side of Brandon Gap from my home which looked east toward the 'gap'; her descriptions of fall in VT--the garden harvest, roadside blooms, the first woodfires on a chilly day--take me back.

      Delete
  3. Hummingbirds are so interesting! I've been trying to pinpoint when mine come and go. I'd hate to not have my feeder ready. I usually see three, but lately I've seen only one. I was wondering if it is getting close to their departure. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea; Its about impossible to discern one hummer from another, isn't it? This summer brought our largest crew of them--so delightful to observe.

      Delete
  4. When the birds start leaving it's a sure sign of Fall. We always have a few Hummingbirds that stay all winter and somehow manage to survive.
    It seems like there's an extremely busy time in spring and then again in Fall. I am not able to do as much as I'd like in my garden and flowerbeds but my youngest son comes over almost weekly and gives me a hand.
    Happy first official day of Fall tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GM; Fall is my favorite season, in spite of knowing that I will be without outdoor flowers until March or April. I wouldn't mind if autumn lasted until the New Year! I no longer have the stamina to do all that I would like in my gardens--frustrating, isn't it!

      Delete