Saturday, April 25, 2020

Mostly Photos


The sound of rain on the roof in the grey pre-dawn of Thursday was a welcome relief! 
It would be too wet to garden!
Much as I love gardening, as many ideas as I have for more plantings around the house, my labors have taken a toll.
Jim put together the raised bed I wanted by the front door.  I proceeded to remove several lavenders hastily stuck in last fall, stashed them in pots in the greenhouse and began digging over the hard-packed layer of red dirt that resulted from back filling when the house construction was finished. 

Jim has found a source of free compost which he brings home in large containers each day when he is done working on his spec property.  
The bags of top soil were worked in over the existing soil layer, then I lugged home several bags of a lighter soil mix from the garden center at South Fork.
A rainy day meant that I could postpone another job of hoicking heavy bags and spreading soil.

The rain was good for the potted pansies.


Left in place, but with fresh soil worked around them: a sage plant, oregano, two thymes;  the large one started life as a volunteer seedling growing at the Amish farmhouse.  


David Beachy arrived early in the week to make the first cutting of hay in the meadow.


He returned on Tuesday to 'crimp' the hay;  on Wednesday, ahead of the rain, the grass was raked and rolled into a bale.  This was a fairly light crop, producing only one bale.

Shriveled brown leaves where there should be green. 


This tree growing along the lane fence was beautiful a week ago.
I wonder if the the damaged trees can put out fresh growth.


I have more weeding to do in this perennial strip.  Jim has spread compost/mulch over the upper end and deposited more in heaps for me to spread as weather and energy allow me to finish rooting up weeds. 
Beyond is the vegetable garden.  We have planted green beans and beets, set out 8 broccoli plants raised in the greenhouse.


Flower buds are showing on the foxgloves raised from seed last year.


Red valerian, also raised from seed, was evergreen through the winter and is now blooming in the corner of the west retaining wall.


Willis, tired from supervising my gardening efforts, curls happily on the front porch bench, oblivious to the drizzle falling just beyond.

The weather has been fickle for three days now; bursts of chilly rain, skies clearing for an hour, then clouds and rain moving in again. 
I started a fire in the wood stove, retreated to a corner with a book and a lap full of cats. 
Almost immediately the house felt suffocatingly warm and stuffy.
So, fire going, windows open; cold wind blowing in, windows shut.
Can't change the weather, so we must garden when we can.
I have to say an enforced break is welcome.


7 comments:

  1. We've scarcely had a spot of rain all month and the garden is crying out for it - I seem to perpetually be watering round!

    Your new herb bed looks nice and I am SO ENVIOUS that garden centres stay open in your area - ALL are on Lockdown here. Compost/topsoil? I have to dig it up from the bottom of the yard, where the muckheap used to be, complete with many weed seeds!

    We are out in the garden from dawn to dusk, with an occasional walk thrown in. A big area at the top end of the yard is being reclaimed from the brambles and nettles and will be spuds/veg plot and new soft fruit area. Think how fit we are going to be this year!

    That said, inside jobs are waiting for a wet day, but they are in short supply. Sewing happens in the evenings or middle of the night (Ihave been a bit nocturnal lately.)

    The veg seeds are coming on slowly - it has been so hot they are struggling a bit and I hover like an anxious mother, watering can in hand . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; We have certainly had as much rain as we need for now. No telling if the weather will suddenly turn to drought mid-summer as it did last year. The two area garden centers that I frequent are open, with polite signs on the entrances asking for customers to observe distancing.
      When I am gardening full tilt it seems that only the most basic 'inside jobs' are accomplished. My energy doesn't keep up!

      Delete
  2. It seems the new greenhouse is already proving to be a good investment. The red valerian is gorgeous! And, lucky you to have foxgloves on the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary; I seem to have had a bumper crop of foxgloves! I have more in the greenhouse, the offspring of last summer's flowering which I dug up and potted in February. I tried sowing red valerian previously without a single seedling appearing, so delighted to finally have had success. I am always contented when puttering in the greenhouse.

      Delete
  3. So much fun seeing your gardening photos! Your Foxglove is thriving! Alas, the seeds(from you)that I sowed didn't amount to a hill of beans. I saved some and will try again with a much nicer quality seed starting mix. I rather envy your lush herb garden; mine, for all intents and purposes, has gone kapoot. The only plant left there is a Lovage. Our most recent days have been perfect for working in the garden and I have taken full advantage of the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mundi; I've decided a rainy day is likely a blessing in terms of slowing my gardening pace. Its impossible to stay inside this time of year when garden tasks call.
      I'm sorry the foxglove seed didn't thrive for you. Mine germinated at a much higher rate than in the past, other than the packet from Ferry Morse which yielded a mere half dozen plants.
      I experimented with a variety of herb plants in my Vermont garden, with fluctuating success. I now concentrate on those that please me for their scent or structure--other than the annuals such as basil and parsley which get a workout in the kitchen. I wish that cilantro wasn't so prone to bolting!
      Re seed starting mix; I began this season with a small bag of miracle grow starter--didn't like it at all; a few waterings and it matted down in a spongy mess. I have better success with a good potting mix to which I have added perlite--it is 'airy' and doesn't compact to smother tiny seeds.

      Delete
  4. It is lovely to visit your blog again MM. Your garden is thriving still, despite fickle weather. After a warm, sunny April we have wind and rain today. Seeds have mostly grown and there are young plants waiting to harden off.

    Good to see Willis in his maturity. I think that he and our striped tabby Lucy were young at around the same time. She is still settling after the recent loss of her old ginger and white friend, but has grown into a beautiful little cat, full of energy and cleverness! Best wishes, DW

    ReplyDelete