Monday, November 26, 2018

Blustery and Bleak


A cold wind blustered in during the night, slamming the camper with noisy gusts that tore at the canvas awning, eventually tearing one edge from the metal supporting arms. 

Sleep was impossible. The camper shuddered slightly with each burst of wind, tree branches rattled and creaked, seeming too close. At such times I am very aware that the camper is a mere shell between us and the elements.
We clambered out of bed, Jim to wrestle unsuccessfully with the wildly flapping awning, then to fire up his laptop for a look at the doplar weather map.

I swaddled myself in my long down robe [thankful that I didn't after all bundle it into the charity shop donation box!]   I sat for awhile in the dimly lit living area of the camper, after Jim, stoically ignoring the boisterous wind, retreated to bed.
When I followed him, it took a long time for me to fall asleep again. The large red numerals on the digital clock stood at 4:28 when I last noted them.

We gave up on bed about 2 hours later, rising in the grey and blowy dawn.
The boy cats ventured outside as usual, only to return moments later with damp, wind-ruffled fur. 
I was making the bed with clean flannel sheets when Bobby Mac flung himself in the middle of it, insisting that he needed to burrow in.



The men, thwarted in their plan to pour concrete for the front porch, roared off  to a hardware store and lumber yard.
I had another chiropractic appointment--an on-going effort to correct the damage I recently inflicted on my back.  Fine needles of icy rain pinged against the car's windshield. The thermometer on the dash display reported the outside temperature at a degree above freezing.
I didn't linger in town after my appointment--I'd had a wait although there was only one patient ahead of me.
The car needed gas, so I slowed as I approached the little corner store and cafe at the turning to the ridge road. 

There was no mistaking the red Dodge with trailer attached that sat parked at one end of the lot!
I stood at the antiquated gas pump, hair whipping into my face, as gasoline hissed into the tank while the arthritic numbers on the gas pump's dial clicked noisily to mark the sale.
The teenage son of the owners was hoisting sacks of grain and chicken feed onto a pallet outside the store.
"I'm going to move the car away from the pumps," I assured him.
He gave me a laconic grin and replied, "Your husband is eating breakfast inside--he could pay for the gas!"
I chatted for a few moments at the store, then drove up the ridge.  The flag was still up on the post box although it was almost noon. 
In the camper, I made myself a mug of tea and cut a slice of Dawn's delicious carrot cake.
The wind continued, a steady low howl from the west, stripping leaves from the horizontal branches I watch from my improvised desk. 
Jim stomped in to make phone calls, then back out to cobble repairs to the awning frame.
I was cautioned to stay by the phone [as if I was intending to go out!] and then walk up to the house to deliver the price quotes Jim was expecting.

When the phone call came, I pulled on boots, two layers of hoodies and gloves.
The lane in front of the building site is greasy with churned mud--an expanse to be cautiously negotiated before reaching the apron of crushed rock nearer the house.
A fire in the new wood stove was doing little to combat the chill of the un-insulated building.
My message delivered, I dithered in front of the stove, wondering if I had the stamina to hike out to the road and check the mailbox.
In the end I decided I shouldn't be wimpish and braved the gale.
A newspaper flyer was the sole prize to be collected--at least it served as a wind deflector on the return walk.



I've been noticing this spray of crimson leaves a few yards beyond the lane just below the house.
The bark as well as the shape and color of the leaves suggest a 'burning bush' perhaps springing from seeds dropped by a bird.
I put away the camera, fingers clumsy and freezing, trudged back to the warmth of the camper. Closing the curtains against the deepening gloom and chill of late afternoon, I settled to ponder the kitchen plan.
I expect another session with the kitchen designer later in the week. 
Hopefully a blending of good ideas will result!

14 comments:

  1. Oh dear, your weather sounds frightful, especially being in your camper. Hope the weather clears soon so more forward progress can be made on your new house.

    Happy Christmas holidays ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; The weather is certainly tedious! It seems that we plunged directly from an extended summer into an early winter! We keep hoping for a warmer break in the temperatures.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a big fan of winter, but I prefer it to the summer heat. I'd have been scared in a bad storm in a camper, you're a brave soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet; I have never enjoyed either extreme of temperatures. Fall is usually my best season--not so this year! I think the campers are securely sited other than a direct hit from a tornado. However, a storm of any kind feels like 'surround sound!'

      Delete
  3. Those same howling winds came roaring through here day before yesterday. Fortunately, I was just ahead of those wild and crazy winds when I walked the hillside trail. I am sure the fire in the new wood stove provides some welcome relief to cold fingers and toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chip; I tell myself that short of a drenching rain I should go out and walk each day. Mid 20's is hardly the coldest weather I've survived in New England or Wyoming. I wish I knew where to rummage for my insulated Carhartt overalls!
      The wood stove at least takes the edge off the cold and damp.

      Delete
  4. We've had some proper winter rain today and I was glad I no longer had horses, as caring for them on this sort of day was never fun. Sorry you didn't sleep well due to the high winds and the awning flapping and your home rocking like a cradle!

    At least you have made yourself useful and managed to get some fresh air. I bet that was fun - not!

    I have to say, pondering the plan for your kitchen sounds pretty pleasant to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; Winter rain always seems the most disheartening of weather. At least snow creates a pretty scene.
      We had several horses during the Wyoming years. The first person home from work in the winter checked to be sure the water tank heater was working, doled out grain. The horses didn't seem to mind that they had no stable for shelter--a common thing in Wyoming. There was a fringe of trees along the irrigation canal and they often stayed there if it was particularly cold or windy.
      I don't find it exhilarating to be out in wind and weather--although sometimes a brief dose of it may blow away the megrims!

      Delete
  5. I felt as if I were there with you through it all. such a good read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbee; For me, this is a waiting time--while the men have noticeable daily progress to report. I'm finding that by journaling/blogging I can at least tell one day from another.

      Delete
  6. I hope while you sit by the fire and dream of your completed new home you are comforted in this unpredictable weather. You would not want to be here in a trailor; snowfall for the last two days and very damp.More snow tomorrow. Stay cozy. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb; Deb; Winter has come early, both in the northeast and here in south-central Kentucky. The trailer furnace gobbles propane although we keep it set at 67 F. The thought of the new house going up is comforting. I'm resigned to a rather grubby existence until we can move out of the camper trailer.

      Delete
  7. The news from Vermont...Snow! We had a few inches before Thanksgiving and then on our drive to NH for family Thanksgiving we drove through blinding snow squalls. On Monday the snows came on again and lasted through yesterday afternoon. Our only salvation has been that the thermometer has hovered just above freezing so little accumulation. So much for those denying climate change. Our Glenwood kitchen range has been a godsend for sure; it has been perking along all week giving off just the perfect amount of heat and comfort. Any thoughts I had about enjoying the Miscanthus throughout the winter have been dashed. Every single clump has been laid flat by wind and wet snow. As consolation, the Sargent Crabs and Winterberries have outdone themselves with berry production, much to the delight of the Cedar Waxwings.

    Progress on your new house, despite those weather related delays, seems to be galloping along apace, although perhaps not to you. What fun to be designing a new kitchen! Will you have a place for a wood burning kitchen stove?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mundi! Our Vermont family and friends are posting photos of snow, snow blowers, snow shovels, etc. November hasn't been a mellow month! As a young person, whenever I complained that weather wasn't what it should be, my Grampa Mac took a random selection of diaries from the stack in the living room cupboard and comparing his entries over the years we usually found that the season was on track. It does seem there is an age old pattern of wet years/drought years; snowy winters/open winters. It is surely a reminder that we aren't in control!
      I am missing the wood stove at the farm--wood fires are messy things to tend, but nothing is more comforting on a cold day. I'm glad you have your Glenwood.

      Delete