Sunday, January 28, 2018

Winter Blooms




During winter, whether the remembered long Vermont and Wyoming winters or the more recent milder winters of Kentucky, I miss flowers. 
The blooms of an amaryllis or a bowl tucked full of paper white bulbs have bridged the months when there are no flowers in the garden.

I brought home an amaryllis--one of those packaged with a plastic pot and a packet of soil--on December 1st. Almost immediately the stem began to push up.  It grew lanky and tall during the short days before the solstice, leaning into the low slanting light of the north window by day, then curving dramatically toward kitchen lights which were turned on in late afternoon.
During Christmas week it bloomed--delicate etchings of apple blossom pink on waxy white petals, a glowing heart of pale green. 


One of my Christmas gifts from Dawn and Howard was this plump bulb settled in an elegant glass cylinder. Three flower buds were snuggled against the papery green covering. 
This amaryllis seemed reluctant to begin stretching. I watched daily as the white roots reached down into the black pebbles. 


Slowly the main stem pushed to the top of the vase.

A month after Christmas Eve two flower stalks stood above the rim of the glass.




I have been eagerly awaiting the time when color would appear.



Sunday morning's bloom--this evening both are more fully opened and the velvety dark centers are visible.




During the Christmas season of 2016 I collected five amaryllis bulbs of larger size than those commonly encountered in supermarket or chain store displays.
Two of these I gave to our friends who rent the lower farmhouse and barn.
During the summer I moved mine to the porch, gave them fresh potting soil and regular watering.
All three sent up leaf stalks.
Come October I cut them back, settled the three bulbs in one large pot and placed them on a dark shelf in the cool basement room.


Fred, next door, summered his bulbs in the garden--soil enriched with the bedding forked from the goat pens in the barn. When they were lifted for the winter the bulbs had nearly doubled in size.



We were away all day on Friday, traveling to the U of L dental clinic for my follow-up visit.
When we returned just after dark, I found that Fred and Bonny had parked an amaryllis on the kitchen table--'sharing' the renewed bloom time of one I had given them a year ago.



I am determined to learn how to coax a rebloom from these lovely things--but for now I have delivered my three languishing specimens into Fred's custodial care!

8 comments:

  1. Those are all delightful. Perhaps it is all in the feeding, and goat-enriched soil is the answer.

    We have the first daffodils in bud here and I have seen some in flower when out and about. Let's hope for a gentle end of winter and an early spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our first Kentucky property had a planting of daffodils near the carport--most years they raced into bud sometime in January only to suffer frost-bitten heads. I looked along the roadside last week for signs of the wild daffs--no sign yet of the leaves.

      Delete
  2. That's amazing, we can never get them to rebloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet; It is frustrating as the bulbs send up endless fresh leaf stalks--so I know they're still alive--but for me, no flowers!

      Delete
  3. Goodbye January!! I must keep in mind that February can be a particularly cruel and fickle month. My experience with the amaryllis plant is sketchy at best. I too am determined to master the art of bringing them forward for a second year of blooms. Dare we hope for a third??? I give an amaryllis bulb to each of my sisters in law each Thanksgiving. Some of these women must have the 'Midas Touch' because they have successfully brought those bulbs back year after year. If you have any tips, I'm all ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mundi; The saving grace of February in New England is the lengthening hours of daylight, even though fierce storms can happen well into March.
      Thus far, the difference I see in the amaryllis bulbs that my neighbor tended is the very rich soil in which they spent the summer. Two out of three which he brought in are in bloom--why the third one didn't is anyone's guess. I shall persist with this experiment!

      Delete
  4. I put a couple of bulbs in one pot as you did and left them out all summer. They bloomed mid-summer and I brought them in before frost and they are blooming again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hart: I'm impressed--and rather envious! It doesn't sound as though you gave the bulbs any special treatment--they simply-bloomed very prolifically.

      Delete