Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hummingbirds

Hummingbird at a feeder in the carport.
We have been watching hummers for several weeks.
They dive-bomb us as we sit on the front porch.
Interestingly, although the ruby-throated hummingbird is the usual one for our region, we've not been seeing the colorful males.
The big strawberry shaped feeder seems to be the favorite of the two I have out.

A blur of wings as the bird approaches the feeder.

The hummers, which we take to be the females of the ruby-throated kind, have been obliging about perching on nearby branches or overhead wires long enough to be observed.
Son-in-law M. positioned himself last evening with my camera and took these shots.

4 comments:

  1. I have to get my humming bird feeder cleaned out and refilled. I hang it away from where I sit. I don't like being dive-bombed by them, though they are beautiful to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have hummingbirds in the UK but I've seen them when staying with my aunt in Canada. They are fascinating to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see a hummingbid, we dont have them here in England. The closet we have is a kingfisher, which is a shy bird.
    How neat to have them on your porch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see hummers occasionally sipping from the hamelia paten flowers. How sweet that you get to view them regularly.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete