Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Endless Summer


The heat continues, temperatures varying only a few degrees between the high 80's and 90 F.
Nightly dew fall has become sparse.  A few trees along the edge of the north ravine have begun to shed their leaves, which crackle underfoot. The grass and weeds there are limp, bleached and diminished.


The power company sprayed herbicide to the south where the ravine runs deep below the lines. 
Last year it was a tangle of brambles, poison ivy, honeysuckle vine, thistles, but rimmed at the upper edge with goldenrod, joe pye weed, ironweed.
Today I noticed one stalk of ironweed in triumphant bloom above the blackened rubble of dead plants.


I'm uncomfortable with the use of herbicides, while understanding the constant battle to keep wild plants, some of them undesirable, under control.
A year or more of neglect by the former owners of our property resulted in drifts of weeds along the lane, encroaching on the gravel, thistles and briars bristling along the side of the barn.
Jim mows, runs the bush hog, trims out saplings and over-hanging branches along the lane.
I wish it was possible to save the pretty plants--the wild ageratum, delicate frost asters, the goldenrod. 

Fungus grows on a rotting branch in the deep shade at the edge of the south ravine.


Walking slowly up the lane, late afternoon sun striking through the denim of my jeans, I hear a muffled thud ahead of me.
Black walnuts falling into the rough short grass.




It occurs to me that standing under the black walnut tree is not the most sensible place to linger!


Zinnias at the edge of the garden have faded.


I need to gather seeds from the spent sunflowers--seeds for another summer.
At 7:30 in the evening the sun is melting into a molten pool behind the treeline to the west.
It is too warm still to open the bedroom windows hoping for a breath of cooler night air.
The rooms are comfortable with the A/C running, but I long for the freshness of an autumn breeze, for an end to heat and drought.

16 comments:

  1. Same situation here in WV. So dry! We've been watering our late garden, but everywhere else is dry, dry, dry. The trees are changing color radidly and shedding their leaves. We need rain, and soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Sue; A few trees shedding leaves--mostly, I think, from the dry conditions. We are watering a late planting of cabbage and broccoli, the half dozen late tomato plants.
      I remember WV as so appealing in autumn.

      Delete
  2. You've described the landscape around here too. Hot and dry days have turned grass and trees brown from dust. There are many wild flowers around the hay fields but they aren't as pretty as they should be. I'll be glad when we don't have to use the little window A/C in the "garage turned family room"; too noisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red Hen; The mini-split A/C systems installed in our new house are quiet and economically efficient. At the farm we used window units and fans--noisy at night.
      Its sad that wildflowers crowded along a road or fence sometimes have to be regarded as 'weeds.' If only my garden flowers would grow so robustly!

      Delete
  3. I hope you get relief from the heat soon. I also like the wild flowers along the roadway here. Goldenrod is one of my favorites. Hope you soon have some cool Fall breeze through your windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil; I love the bright color of goldenrod. I miss the purple New England asters which make a lovely contrast growing alongside.
      I hope we get a real fall this year--last year we plunged from summer into a wet dreary winter.

      Delete
  4. There is the threat of frost tonight....the first of the fall. I have picked all the ripe tomatoes, bring it on! Tonight will most definitely be a 'two blanket' night.

    I too hate the use of pesticides. For years and pre pesticide use I picked blackberries in our power lines and made countless jars of jam. Those were the halcyon days!

    I've no doubt that after another year of living on your property you and Jim will have tamed your wilderness through sheer dint of will. A mighty and worthy goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mundi; I well remember the hurried evening activity when the first frost was predicted for Vermont--picking all the tomatoes that could be brought in, then covering the tomato plants, the porch flower boxes--anything special--with an assortment of old sheets, tablecloths, ragged quilts.
      Our favorite way of putting up wild blackberries was to can them in a sugar syrup to pour over waffles or pancakes,

      Delete
  5. I love your header picture! After a wet spring and early summer, the rains stopped and, with the heat, we quickly found ourselves in drought condtions. Maybe, just maybe, there's relief in sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hill Top; We had ample rain in the spring but a long hot summer with only the occasional quick shower. It hasn't been an encouraging garden year.
      Re the header photo: I've continued to water my shrub roses and with the passing of Japanese beetle season and careful pruning I now have several roses each day.

      Delete
  6. At least you have the A/C, over here we are getting warmer and warmer summers and no A/C just fans, they do nothing and it is sometimes unbearable. Like you I love the Autumn, Spring as well.
    Love that fungus.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briony; I so often wonder how folks managed here prior to some sort of A/C--many small old farmhouses with bedrooms tucked high under the eaves. You know nights had to be a restless sweltering during the summer.
      I noticed the white of the fungus just off the lane at the edge of the woods and picked my way in for a closer look.

      Delete
  7. Love your header picture!!!

    Always good to read your posts. I feel like I am right there with you.

    Summer is still definitely here, but I do feel fall coming. Enjoy the last of summer ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; The beauty of the roses is short lived--not every one opens fully, but they bring me joy. All are lightly scented.

      Delete
  8. We have had a mini heat wave here (short Indian summer) which has been delightful. Back to rain tomorrow! so glad we made the most of it. Hope it is cooler with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos of the first of autumn. It's such a nice time of year to walk in the woods. It's an early autumn here in WA state, after not much of a summer - cool and wet. Wish I could send you some! We are sun-starved here. x Karen

    ReplyDelete