Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Autumn Flowers


As the gardening season slowly winds down, the flowers which rebloom after the heat and insect pests of high summer are especially cherished.
I have continued to water my shrub roses through the long stretch of drought and have been rewarded with blossoms to bring indoors each day.


My favorite of the shrub roses I have grown in Kentucky--Hawkeye Belle.  This rose has been moved twice--from our first Kentucky home--to the Amish farm--now to our new place.
It is a 'Griffith Buck' rose, bred to withstand cold winters.  I think I ordered this as a bareroot plant during our first Kentucky spring. 
It has a soft sweet scent.


A Landscape rose purchased this spring at the local garden center. 
I removed the tag thinking I would remember the name--but I don't.
I have two of these which stay compact, bloom profusely and have a light scent.
I am happier with these than with the varieties planted on the east retaining wall. Those tend to straggle over the ground and aren't scented.


Two David Austin roses--the apricot variety is Roald Dahl.  The shrub has a very open spreading form. The pale yellow rose is The Poet's Wife.


Hawkeye Belle in the background, and the 'un-named' rose moved from the Amish farmhouse. 
It is very fragrant with some variation of color from one bloom to another.
At the nursery I saw one nearly identical called "Cameo.'


Ballooon flower--raised from seed this spring and tucked along the improvised fence.


Dwarf butterfly bush from the local nursery. This began the season in a large pot, but after its first blooms were over I trimmed it sharply and put it in the ground near the fence.


Coneflower from seed--in spite of being ravaged by caterpillars these are making a modest show of bloom.
I putter outside each morning to inspect my plants, finding a quiet joy in those that are flourishing--reward for the hard labor of creating gardens where none had been before.
Still waiting for rain to mellow the ground for setting out the remainder of the plants grown from seed and now bursting from their pots. 
Then will begin the repotting and pruning of tender plants that need to come indoors before frost.
Some can reside in the sun room--for others I hope there will be grow lights in the basement.

4 comments:

  1. Your roses are lovely, especially those peachy David Austins. My roses were a bit hit and miss this summer - like the weather. They need a good feed now so I will take myself down to our smallholding neighbour's for some well-rotted donkey muckheap.

    Hoping that next year your new garden will really come together with all the fresh plantings. It takes things a while to settle in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; The selection of David Austin roses at the local nursery was limited by the time I was ready to plant the west retaining wall. These have 'grown' on me--although I usually choose roses in clear pink or deep red.
      Well-rotted manure is such a great fertilizer--getting harder to find.

      Delete
  2. Love your roses. You have a nice selection. Love the rest of your blooms also.

    Happy Autumn ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; Gardens are such work--especially as we grow older--but I can't imagine a summer without flowers.

      Delete