Thimble came to us August 17, 2024, rescued by Howard from the parking lot of the gas station/convenience store located where the ridge road joins the main route.
She was starving, dirty, infested with fleas. She was not feral.
The storekeeper was dismissive when Howard asked how long the tiny cat had been there. 'Oh', said the man, 'A week or more.'
Howard bought a tin of cat food, opened it and lured the kitten into the shade of a tree.
He convinced me, against better judgment, that I should go with him to meet this grubby waif.
She ran to him when he stepped out of the truck. He picked her up, reached in and dropped her in my lap whereupon she climbed my front and looked beseechingly at me with eyes too big for her bitty head.
Needless to say, she moved in with us.
The above photo is of Howard drying her after a first bath washed away some of the grime and bloody flea bites.
Thimble doesn't forget her resucuer.
We kept the kitten sequestered in the sunporch until she had been to the vet clinic: various 'shots,' deworming, ears cleaned, flea treatment.
Thimble has moved into the house, a tiny, busy presence.
Still a bit frail looking after several weeks of nourishing kitten food.
Intrepid and adventurous!
Tummy shaved for spaying.
Thimble is still small, a wiry, muscular compactness that suggests Siamese ancestry.
Siamese behavior as well!
A basket case.
How dare you scold me!
Always helpful--sorting green beans.
Howard brought her a second-hand cat tower--a vantage point, a place to scramble and defend from 'The Other Cats!'
Could you open the window? I'd like to 'play' with the hummingbirds.
The face of innocence! Thimble supervises while I clear up the mess of potting soil, a damaged begonia, and broken crockery that was her latest venture.
[But isn't she beautiful?]
I am never without a devoted helper--let's rearrange the pantry shelves.
Watch me do gymnastics.
Thimble; Thimble-berry; Tinker-bell.
Intelligent; naughty; disruptive.
Busy-body; helpful companion;
A charmer. A keeper.
She's adorable!! Certainly looks like she knows just how cute she looks.
ReplyDeleteGranny M. Thimble is always at her most beguiling when she has been disruptive or terrorized the bigger cats.
DeleteAren't you glad she came into your life? I don't know where I would be without my cats. They are such good copany now I am on my own here. I was not terribly amused that they decided to wake me up this morning, but I have survived!
ReplyDeleteSuch lovely photos of your little waif and stray. Such a character in that wee little grey body.
Jennie; Thimble has personality plus! She is an attention getter, with an 'in-your-face' mindset.
DeleteAlthough a very different character she has helped to heal the empty space created when my beloved Teasel-cat left us after nearly 18 years. We couldn't have left Thimble abandoned in the parking lot--think what we would have missed!
Mischievous little one. But Thimble has certainly brought you a lot of joy to both of you. Definitely a keeper.
ReplyDeleteThelma; I have noticed over the years that it is often a mischievous animal who captures a special place in our lives. Thimble is always tuned in to my every move--doesn't miss a thing.
DeleteSo glad you and that lovely cat found each other.
ReplyDeleteAnon; So many homeless and unwanted animals--I wish I could take care of many more.
DeleteAwwww....she's a beauty! Glad she found a home with you.
ReplyDeleteShe's a very amusing little distraction--and utterly bossy!
DeleteBless you for taking in Thimble. She does look like she has some Siamese ancestors. Is she "talkative"?
ReplyDeleteHugs
Jane
Jane; Thimble has the body type and personality that suggests Siamese ancestry, but she isn't a 'talker.' I can imagine what she might say!
DeleteWhat a beautiful kitty! Love the name, and all the photos.
ReplyDeleteGranny Sue; Thimble is alternately a 'holy terror' and a dear companion. She doesn't miss a thing that goes on in this house. Its a good thing I love her dearly!
DeleteAwwwww....beautiful photos of this adorable kitty! I love the name Thimble!
ReplyDeleteLinda; I chose her name for her tiny size--she's thimble-full' of wise mischief!
DeleteOh, so sweet! Love that your Mr. noticed her and rescued her! She is very pretty and you are so kind to take her in and care for her. Breaks my heart that people can be so cruel to just dump an innocent animal. Now she is living her best life!
ReplyDeleteKaren; It was actually our son who recused the kitten--he was quite sure his Mom wouldn't reject needy one! Abandonment and cruelty toward animals is indeed heart-breaking.
DeleteThimble is a darling and beautiful cat and she fits in purrfectly with your family.
ReplyDeleteTerra; Thimble is very sleek and quick. She remains a small cat, but terrorizes the bigger ones.
DeleteI just stopped by to wish you and Thimble a beautiful upcoming Autumn.
ReplyDeleteLinda; Thank you--we are so ready for autumn weather and the heat wave goes on!
Delete