Sunday, June 21, 2026

Solstice


Sunsets have been lovely this month with light lingering well after 9 p.m. Tonight, after the longest day of the year, there was still a glow in the western sky at 9:45, and a pink-tinged first quarter moon hung against an evening curtain of pale blue-grey.
An auspicious day with the successful removal of the small barn from the lower meadow, up the slope of the grass-covered lane and finally to the freshly poured concrete pad where it will be repurposed to replace the shop/garage that burned on the 29th of March.

Spring flowers, peonies, lilacs, roses are long past as we settle into the heat of a long Kentucky summer. Daylilies, coneflowers, the achillea grown from seed , are now providing color, while  few nasturtiums have bloomed in the pots. 
Jim's sweet corn has responded to the last rain and to a dose of ammonium/nitrate fertilizer as a side dressing.

A much-loved niece was diagnosed with cancer this week--a weight on all our hearts.
I'm not good at formal prayer but her face, her name, have been ever in mind as I've gone about the usual tasks of food preparation, laundry, watering plants, reading at night.

Too tired to write more--its nearly 11 pm.--so I offer the link to a favorite family story shared by my Aunt Liz--the 'Lizzie' of the Larry and Lizzie stories

 

20 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to read of your neice's illness. I hope it responds to treatment.

    Well done with the moving of the small barn (I was very impressed with the FB photos!) Now your man will be out there daily getting it all sorted out again. Off to read your story now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; Susan's cancer is of a type that would require a major miracle in additional to medical intervention for any hope of remission. We are grieving.

      Yes, the 'man' will have a project for the summer in repurposing the little barn. I've long thought it was worthy of a better use than storage for oddments and a haven for snakes leaving their shed skins on the walls!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry for your poor niece who has been diagnosed with a particularly awful kind of cancer ( as if there was any other kind). The road ahead will be hard for her and her loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny M. There is no 'good' kind of cancer--this is a particularly dreaded kind. It has knocked all of us a bit off course.
      Life is like this--more or less!

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry for your dear niece. 😢
    My heart goes out to all of you.
    Your sunset 🌇 photo is truly captivating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda; Cancer is a frightening diagnosis.
      June sunsets are so lovely, with the sky still light after 9 p.m.

      Delete
  4. I am sorry to hear of your niece's diagnosis. Cancer is a word no one wants to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele; I hate to think that cancer cells can be silently invading any of us. So many families touched by this killer, and survival seems so random.

      Delete
  5. Excellent job moving that shed.
    I do not like summer. At all. But here we are, and i reckon i can endure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G. Sue; I am not a summer person either, but as you say, we're in it for the long haul--probably until early October.

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear about your niece. My sister is currently going through treatment for multiple myeloma, fortunately caught in stage 1. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G. Sue; Every type of cancer is scary! And results of treatment seem so unpredictable. I'm guessing you're doing everything possible to encourage your sister.

      Delete
  7. Found your blog through another I read ( Codlins) Very sorry to hear about your neices diagnosis. I am a UK based clinician but would always recommend asking for a second opinion and whether there are any drug trials that your niece could be eligible for - the US is doing such good work that , if she has the emotional bandwidth
    and energy, she may find a trial
    that helps
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miriam; Thank you for commenting. Susan's sister is a medical professional [MSN; FNP; DCNP] and has stated that there is a new treatment/drug on the horizon that might be of potential help. One question is current availability weighed against an already advanced state of the cancer.
    I admire those who work in the medical field--several generations now in my husband's family. Those who must deliver a devastating diagnosis to a patient must truly strive to balance professionalism with compassion.
    I hope you'll visit me again when my posts may be more cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cancer is something truly difficult to come to terms with, and my heart goes out to your niece and your family. Sending positive thoughts and prayers.
    Good to hear that your rebuilding has started and the weather is holding out for that. Summer goes by so quickly. x K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen; Cancer is so insidious, takes so many forms of attack, its a diagnosis we dread for ourselves or anyone we know.
      The rebuilding is going forward, now that the heat has really struck it is necessary for Jim to take frequent cooling off breaks.

      Delete
  10. I'm very sorry to hear about your niece's diagnosis. My thoughts are with her and your whole family during this difficult time. I hope she finds strength, comfort, and successful treatment in the days ahead.

    I have just followed your blog. Hopefully, we can become friends and stay in touch.

    A big hello from Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Asep; Your kindly words are much appreciated. Thank You!

      Delete
  11. Just stopping by to let you know I am thinking of you. I wish you all the best in every aspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda; Thank you. Its been a rough month with the passing of our niece from cancer.

      Delete