Saturday, June 29, 2024

Heat Continues


Nasturtiums are struggling in the ongoing heat--as are we humans.
Going out in late afternoon to water some of the container plants I found that the hose having been spread out in day-long sun was full of water of an uncomfortably hot temperature. I ran the water for a bit but it wasn't cooling--and we pay for county water. 
I pulled the hose into the shade of the barn wall and will try again later. 

We had welcome rain Wednesday night, a gentle soaking, not the deluge that pummels plants into the ground.


Phlox in the bin planter outside my bedroom window are fragrant. Only the one pink, the others are lavender or white. 
I discovered that the butterfly weed purchased last year and put in the rough strip by the drive has survived and bloomed although surrounded by some tough-rooted stems of red clover and encroaching grass. I wish I could create a manageable area to rehome some of my favorite plants and relegate the more invasive ones to spots where they could happily proliferate without swallowing up those that grow more slowly


'Babies' from this stunning achillea have been dug out of the grass and lodged in a big pot for growing on.


A sturdy plant of feverfew in the west garden. I started this from seed several years ago and found it to be quite invasive. As long as I keep at least one clump I should never be without it.
I planted Clary sage nearby and it didn't thrive, not putting in an appearance last season. There are two small plants of it this year. When planted in a gravely area near the side steps of the farmhouse it flourished as long as we were there, sending up new seedlings each spring. 
As a biennial it won't flower this year. If I can keep it weed free perhaps I'll again have the pleasure of the distinctive blooms.


Blackberry lilies [so named for their seed pods which resemble a ripe blackberry] are eager to drop their seeds. I stuck a few in the raised bed by the front walk and now have lilies appearing in the cracks between bricks.


One bud on the Poet's Wife. On the morning after rain I did some hasty pruning of the roses and yanked out a few weeds. An hour's work didn't begin to deal with the weed crop.



Most years I've planted a short row of zinnias in the veg garden. I've been surprised to find self-seeded plants coming up here and there after the garden has been tilled, some even popping up in the grass verge. Last year I moved some of these volunteers to the back garden where they obligingly flourished. This pretty pink one took root in a space between the stepping stones.
I had 'mini-zinnies' in pots by the steps last year and have been eyeing new starts struggling to grow in the gravel walk. I pried them up and poked the twisted little roots into an assortment of containers. I think most have settled in, so the zinnia presence will carry on.
Feathery seedlings of achillea have also been potted up.


Achillea babies.


Zinnias rescued from the gravel.

Perennials such as coneflower, monarda and New England asters which I consider as late summer plants have rushed into bloom with the early and persistent heat.
I'll be cutting them back shortly and hoping for early autumn rebloom. 

Jim has been out to check the garden [8 p.m.] and tells me an early morning session of rototilling is on for him, and another picking of green beans at the ready for me. 

I've been out to water my flowers with the now cool water from the hose.
Summer--heat--humidity--we're in for it!

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are being held to ransom by the green beans! Don't envy you the humidity - we have gone back to overcast and cool again today, but it may clear a bit later. I tried growing Zinnias from seed this year for the first time but it was a no-go. The cold spring has done little to encourage growth of anything but at least I can enjoy the established perennials and roses.

    One of the chaps who is staying with our new neighbour Ed, came up to say thank you for the cake I'd left them the other day. He was admiring my garden, especially the totally overgrown (ahem, with grass and some weeds!) bank, and said it looked lovely and that it looked like the gardens at Chelsea this year - e.g. they are all going for weeds on your plot!!! First time I've ever been "on trend" with anything. Everyone who calls says the garden is beautiful so I've done something right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; I suspect that any garden to which you put your efforts would be a place of plantly delight! Delphinium and Lady's Mantle--two of my favorite plants in the Vermont garden won't take the long summers of heat and humidity here--I had to give them up after repeated attempts.

      Delete