Saturday, May 4, 2024

Green Darkness


Rain and wind moved in early Friday evening. This photo and the one below were taken within minutes; I'm not sure why the light looks so different. It was one of those times when the air goes strangely still and the sky seems to drop low overhead, just before wind begins to stir the trees and rain pelts down.


The landscape of new spring green was vivid in spite of cloud cover.


I rushed out to salvage peonies--their opening signals rain every year.


I think this is the vintage variety 'Maxima.'


Hawkeye Belle


Howard arrived Thursday evening with a load of compost from one of the area Beachy Amish farms. I've used the black nursery bins to over-winter excess plants, some set into the soil, others ranged in pots. The plants all had to be hoicked out so the bins could be topped up. Some had rooted in so deeply that Jim had to lift them with a broad-tined garden fork.
I was concerned that disturbing and resettling the plants would result in wilt. Rain during the night refreshed them.


David Austin 'Queen of Sweden ' on the left and 'The Poet's Wife' on the right. Both are in exuberant early bloom in spite of some leaf damage from sawfly larvae. 

The dark iris planted by a former owner of the property flanked by peonies.

Today has brought more rain, sometimes in heavy bursts, then sun emerging from billows of cloud. There have been occasional rattles of distant thunder.
I walked the meadow loops in fresh-scented dusky evening--trailed by cats.
I came inside for scissors and clipped two more bouquets of roses. 
Rosie-cat is intrigued by flowers in a vase; I always have at least one feline in residence who is compelled to prod at flowers, spattering water and strewing petals across the table.

Damp feet--yet another pair of 'rubber' boots that have sprung leaks at the seams. These were cheap ones purchased a year ago. I've had pricier 'wellies' which did no better.
Wet feet distress me!
I remember my Dad patching our boots when my sisters and I were children. He had a 'kit' with cloth backed patches which could be cut to size, a little tool for roughing up the area to be repaired, a tube of rubber cement. 
More rain is forecast for the week. I think I will repair my boots with duct tape--futile frugality!

 

2 comments:

  1. Gosh your roses are early I love 'The Poet's Wife'. I have no garden now, so it is lovely to see yours and Jennies. Those big black bins look very handy no need to bend over and weed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As is true every year, you are miles ahead of us here in Southwestern Vermont. Our Redbuds, lilacs and Dogwoods are just starting to bloom. Our hillside are resplendent with that glorious spring green that never last quite as long as one would wish.
    May I recommend a solution for waterproof footware. Muck Shoes are the best! I first bought them to wear when doing barn chores but found that they were excellent gardening shoes, as well. I usually get two years out of a pair and wear them year round and they are very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete