Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Sunny and Cold


12 F. at 7:30 A.M. A cold morning, but it stopped snowing overnight and the wind had died down.


By mid-morning the sky was deep cerulean blue creating a perfect snow scene.
I was fretting that Willis-the-cat didn't appear on the doorstep for his breakfast although his companion Sally was waiting for me as soon as I switched on the kitchen light.  I stuck my head out to call Willis several times, was thinking I must pull on boots and coat and check for him in the greenhouse. Willis is partial to the unheated greenhouse and there are insulated coops to shelter him and Sally on cold nights.
Contrary cat-wise Willis made himself known as I was struggling into layers of bulky outdoor clothing.
I had dressed earlier in silk long johns under jeans, T-shirt under a heavy cotton turtleneck top. 
I added a zip-front hoodie, a cardigan, insulated Carhart bibs, my tallest snow boots, wrapped my face in a soft scarf, pulled on fleece gloves. 


Jim decided to walk with me. His old snowmobiling jacket has been modeled in winter pictures for many years. He headed down the lower meadow loop while I took in the triangular piece bordered by the neighbor's pasture fence.



The landscape was beautiful and I should have found the walk exhilarating after spending most of yesterday indoors.
Instead I found that I was greatly encumbered by my layers of garments and my progress through the snow was annoyingly clumsy. 
The scarf over my face stiffened with my frozen breath, my boots were not getting good traction.
I managed one full loop and started up the hill again, only to turn around and trudge along the fence once more before stomping to the house.



I had my camera case slung over my shoulder. Pulling off my right glove to handle the camera I found that I could see nothing through the viewfinder. 



Willis, having emerged from his lair, joined us on the lower meadow path. 


He rolled in the snow coming up with ears and whiskers powdered in glinting flakes.


Willis made it to the front porch before I did, parking himself on the old rug kept there for the outside cats.


Later Willis moved to the woodshed, the very picture of a warm and well-fed feline.




Robert has continued his demands to be out--and then in.
[I am a doorkeeper in the house of the cats!]


Like his late brother Nellie, Robert considers the roof of a vehicle ideal as a lookout post. 




Coneflowers in the snow.


Plans to celebrate J's birthday [today] and our daughter's [tomorrow] had to be postponed due to the cold weather and icy roads.
I made Jim's favorite pineapple upside down cake.
I think that may have been my only real accomplishment of the day.

Freezing nights and chilly days are predicted for the remainder of the week.
I mustn't think about my plants which are likely victims of the prolonged chill.
Herman, the feral tabby came for his evening meal. I had saved a scoop of tinned cat food for him when the pampered house cats were served their 'tea' at noon.
I set out a small dish of milk which Herman guzzled thirstily, so I put out more and then warm water. He drank all of that between snatched mouthfuls of kibble. He is so wary--I have never been able to touch him. He backs off, eyes wide with apprehension when I open the door to hand out more food.
Although he doesn't trust us Herman finds us reliable. 
The fate of strays is heart-wrenching.

9:30 P.M. and the temperature reader displays 10 F. 




 

4 comments:

  1. As I get older, I find looking at snow more enjoyable than plodding through it! Glad to see Ghengis' lookalike Willis was your loyal companion. Herman must realize how fortunate he is but still won't let down the drawbridge of friendship. I dare say he's had a hard life.

    Pineapple Upsidedown Cake is one of the first things I ever baked, recipe taken from mum's Margeurite Patten cookbook.

    I know only too well about being the doorkeeper for a house of cats - Alfie is the worst, especially in the morning when he asks to go out, then come back in, at least half a dozen times until I could brain him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; Its about impossible to ignore a cat determined on a mission! Herman gazes at me soulfully when I talk to him, but only if I keep my distance.
      The Pineapple Upside Down Cake is from an old Watkins cookbook that belonged to my late MIL. It is made in a cast iron skillet. Jim has to turn it out on the platter as my wrists aren't sturdy enough to hold the plate still and turn over the skillet,

      Delete
  2. Poor Herman. You have to wonder what has made him so wary.
    With our unusual cold I'm concerned too about my perennials and I'm anxious to find out which survived and which didn't.
    Pineapple Upside Down Cake is something I haven't made for a long time. Maybe one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G.M. Herman is a truly beautiful large mackerel tabby; He appears so well fed I wonder if he has other buffets he visits besides ours. I've tried carefully reaching toward him when I set out a dish of something special, but he isn't to be wooed.
      As the days and nights continue below freezing I'm losing hope for my buddleias and hibiscus, to say nothing of lavender, sage and such in pots.

      Delete