Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Turning The Page On August


Rain fell in the dark hours before dawn; gentle, steady rain, soaking into dry ground, quiet rain, without thunder, or thrashing wind; the sort of rain that refreshes late summer gardens without a damaging deluge. The air was heavy and still, grey clouds delaying the light of day. I checked the hummingbird feeders that dangle from the east porch eaves, but found that the heavy dampness didn't invite me to my usual place in the rocking chair.  I retreated inside to sip my mug of 'half caff' while watching the swirl of birds eager to feed in spite of the murky morning.

J. had arranged to meet a prospective truck buyer in town, which meant I had to follow in the car. 
I crunched a hasty slice of toast laden with the last of the chicken salad, brushed my teeth, snatched up purse and reading material, feeling that I was being jostled hastily into the day.

As it turned out, the 'buyer' arrived with $600 less than the 'bottom line' price J. had specified. He was a bulky man, not fitting comfortably behind the wheel of the truck. 
He left with the promise that he would try and procure the remainder of the price.
We had our doubts about that--verified when he later phoned to say he couldn't borrow the money.

J. had another errand in the next county, wanting to inspect a portable storage building that had been posted for sale. This meant I was still to trail behind in the car to a service plaza where he could park the truck. 
By the time J.'s dealings were completed and I was once again the driver of the car I realized I was on the verge of becoming irritable. J. roared out onto the highway but I waited a few seconds too long to safely follow him into the stream of traffic flowing from both directions. The driver behind me tooted his horn, and I felt annoyance surging. 
My way home was slow--an elderly Ford Ranger pickup was struggling to tow a small trailer with a pallet of lumber, slowing to barely 40 mph on every incline. 
Finally arriving at the house I decided that the energy from the morning slice of toast had long since departed; I hoped that lack of nourishment--and not shear cussedness--was at the root of my grumpy mood!  I served 'tea' to the cats while J. made phone calls, then it was decided we would drive to the Bread of Life Cafe and partake of the buffet. 

Pleasantly full of food--advertised as southern home cooking--I found that I didn't mind the rest of J.'s errands. The sun was breaking through clouds, the back roads past Beachy Amish farms, even the slow crawl behind lumbering farm machinery had a soothing and almost soporific calm.


New England asters drooping in the morning's rain.



Asters, prairie sage, achillea--all have outgrown their space in the raised bed that flanks the front walkway.

Finally, a few nasturtiums.

A row of small zinnias in the veg garden.


The Japanese beetles have had a longer than usual season, spoiling the roses for many weeks. 
They are giving up now, though not all vanquished. 
A bouquet of The Poet's Wife and Hawkeye Belle.




Howard and Dawn have welcomed a new kitten, rescued by Howard from his job site.
She is becoming Dawn's 'lap kitten' but also has a fondness for Howard's hair.



 

5 comments:

  1. What an adorable kitten. Such a pretty colour too.

    I can understand your being dragged from home before you had quite woken up (and eaten enough breakfast!) Glad that your man took you out to lunch so you could carry on being his extra driver. At least you got out of the house!

    Grey and overcast today. I could go out and garden (it desperately needs a tidy) but I am still recovering from Monday's tramping round and round and round the stalls at Malvern.

    You have some pretty plantings and I'm glad the Nasturtiums graced you with flowers eventually. My pink ones flowered well and I have seeds for next year. The orange ones got nobbled by Cabbage Butterfly caterpillars. Ah well . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; I groan over the labors of gardening at this point, but expect I'll continue--until I simply can't! That kitten is a feisty little thing. Howard protests that he doesn't like cats--but then says, "I couldn't leave her there to certain death."

      Delete
  2. Those late summer rains have worked miracles for your beautiful flowers. I love the Nasturtiums but won't try growing them again here.
    "Cussedness!" So now I know what hits me once in awhile. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good that you have had enough rain to revivify your gardens. We too have enjoyed some gentle and continuous rain although it was too little, too late for my perennial beds. The usual August splash of color is rather lack luster this year. My nasturtiums are all but dead. Every so often I find a lone blossom among pale dried up leaves; so discouraging. Most years the nasturtiums in my hay racks are lush and hanging over the edges. Next year!! On a positive note, my tomatoes are simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mundi; Can you imagine my envy at mention of a 'gorgeous' tomato harvest? We raised them by the bushel in Vermont--canned them by the dozens of quarts!
      This has not been a good year for nasturtiums--and last year they grew in an exuberant tower by the barn wall. "Next year"--yes!

      Delete