Friday, April 8, 2022

Every Kind of Weather


Spreading clumps of monarda in the rough strip that has mostly produced weeds. The weeds have thrived on mulch!
I've divided the monarda and moved clumps to both raised beds, given some away. It is welcome wherever it chooses to flourish.

Spring still reluctant to give us warm sunlit days. We've had a few sunny breaks in the clouds, but mostly the sky has remained sullen. 
Dawn and I ventured to Homestead Gardens on Monday; I had birthday giftings to indulge.
I came home with seed potatoes to put out as soon as the weather settles, various packets of seeds and plants destined for a large pot to sit near the front steps. 


There was no name tag on the display of these cheerful little things with dainty foliage and daisy faces. 
I noticed many container and 'bedding' plants which weren't available when I worked in a greenhouse  years ago.


Annual blue salvia. 
I also chose a coleus in deep burgundy colors. I potted on all four plants  giving them room to develop sturdy roots, and brought the coleus indoors to grow under lights until such time as the weather is warm enough--and stable enough--for outdoor pots.


At least I can enjoy blooms indoors.


Mayapple unfolding in the damp leaves along the edge of the south ravine.


Claytonia? Slender Toothwort?


Violets spread along the lane, pop up in garden plantings, They seem impervious to frost or late spring snow. They have the vigor of weeds, but so much more appealing than most of the invaders with which I do continual battle.


Wild turkeys, most often the hens, are much in evidence. This photo taken through the screen of my west bedroom window. The cats who were keeping me company and hoping I was about to arise suddenly went into defense mode, heads poked through the curtains, growling warnings. 
It wasn't a surprise to see the turkey a few feet away from the house.



On Wednesday afternoon I drove to the next town to pick up a quilt that had been machine 'quilted' for me by a professional service. It began to rain as I left the house for the 20 minute drive.  On the way home the heavens let loose a deluge. Windshield wipers going full tilt, headlights on, slowing for sheets of water that pulled at the car's tires.
The fury of the storm tapered off toward evening and the day closed with a fiery sunset.

Thursday, scudding clouds that sailed across the sun at intervals all day. Brisk wind. I laundered sheets and pegged them firmly to the back porch lines where they flapped and bounced until dry.


Today has been murky-dark, cold, snow and frost predicted before morning.
I went out to tuck sheets and towels around the clematis--likely a futile gesture as the sheets were soaked, as was I, before I finished the task, with tiny flakes of snow collecting on the sleeves of my jacket. The Jane magnolias, hard hit  nearly a month ago have struggled to put forth feeble new buds. Freezing weather tonight and as predicted for tomorrow night will be rough on them. I could think of no way to shelter them.
We so look forward to spring flowers at the end of a longer than usual winter here; perhaps blighted blooms are a small matter with all that goes on about us, but still a loss.

Shelby Cat [she who caused such uproar last Friday evening] has spent much of the day stretched on a soft old comforter.
The house is warm with the wood fire, I've indulged in an extra mug of tea [Constant Comment] and as I can do no more for my battered garden, I shall draw the shades against the dark night and sequester myself with a book.

 

4 comments:

  1. I was struck by your reference to Constant Comment Tea; a dear friend's mother and a malaprop Queen always called it Constant Comfort, and it was/is a comfort.

    Our weather has been pretty typical of Vermont in April replete with showers, rain and more showers. The Hepatica is in bloom but still no sign of the MayApple or Dutchman's Breeches. Jane Magnolia will be gorgeous this year as long as we don't have a very late frost. Fingers crossed! I do wish that our garden centers had a bit more of interest just now but I must remember that we are still 'full on' Pansy Season. Patience! My daughter is about to deliver a Rosa Mundi rose to replace one that died so a bit of planting for my afternoon. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mundi; I really miss hepatica as I've never seen it blooming here. A friend and I used to find huge clumps of it while walking the trails at Mt. Independence. My 'Janes' are in sad case--I've wondered if pruning them would be a good thing to do. When living in Vermont I had a lovely collection of old roses--many rugosas as well as other old varieties. Strangely rugosas aren't very happy here, maybe the winters are too mild. I don't recall Japanese beetle invasions in VT although they devastate my roses here. We gardeners have many obstacles to battle. I'm wondering if your Rosa Mundi is a grafted plant or own root[?]

      Delete
  2. Sometimes all you can do is shut the door! All of my daffodils and pansies are in bloom, and we've had several days of hail and freezing rain to batter them relentlessly. You have a lovely variety of flowers coming up, despite it all. I hope you were able to rescue the clematis. The sunset is beautiful through the dark trees. I'm still thinking about your scary night looking for your little cat. The glowing eyes in the woods - the laser light... I live on the edge of the wilderness here, too, and I've had strange nights like that, also. Glad you are safe. x K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen; I ponder that night looking for Shelby-Cat--wondering what was out there--human or otherwise.
      Weather here continues impossible for gardening--just enough rain to keep soil wet and heavy. Meanwhile, more weeds flourish. Three nights of covering the clematis has kept them from freezing, but they definitely look a bit ragged.

      Delete