Monday, December 20, 2021

On The Eve of the Winter Solstice


Jim was first dressed and in the living room this morning. He called me to take note that both the full moon and the flush of the rising sun were visible.
By the time I had pulled on clothes and taken my camera out the back door the moon was sliding off to the north west. The shades of blue, mauve and pink were more delicately beautiful than my simple camera can record. Frost was still glittering on the pasture grass with temperatures close to the freezing mark.


The glow of a mid-winter sunrise behind the bare trees that edge the lane.


Looking across the now grassed over lane along the south ravine.


DIL Dawn knows my love of flowers in all seasons. This beautiful centerpiece gives me joy each time my eyes rest upon it. I carry it gently to spend nights in the sunroom or my bedroom closet as a safeguard from interested felines.


The deep red roses are like velvet.


My cactus began blooming in mid-November. It resides on the crowded table in the sunroom which is warm on sunny days but decidedly chilly if the day is overcast.


Rosemarys, a few small geraniums, starts of begonias and African violets all crowded on the sunroom table. I'm prodding J. to put up a light downstairs over a stretch of counter that could host some of my plants for the winter.


I have an array of African violets nearly all raised from gifted leaf cuttings.
Years ago I had dozens of violets under grow lights--many colors, doubles, variegated leaf forms.
I don't mind that the present ones are nearly all the same. They are in almost constant heavy bloom, thriving on near neglect.


Two of the reasons why my house plants are not safe in the main living area.
The kittens went for their respective spay/neuter last week. It slowed them down for two days. They are now very much back on form--which means naughty!

 

6 comments:

  1. Haha - didn't think those kittens would slow down for long! What a lovely post. I have two lots of Hyacinths on my windowsill - 3 blue and 3 white. The white ones were to be taken to a friend last weekend, but then she phoned and cancelled because of the spread of Omicron. I agreed we would meet in the New Year, when it's safe, and I will get her a different potted plant.

    Your windowsills are more generous than mine - my herbs are roughing it out there.

    Tell Dawn her choice of centrepiece is a truly lovely one.

    Keep warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie, I've not had as much success with hyacinths as with paper whites--tried some once in bulb glasses and they were quite feeble. I would love to display small plants or interesting things on the windowsills, but it would be courting trouble. The sturdier larger items ranged above the kitchen cabinets are not reliably free from parading felines.
      The kittens are doing well, although I wish Rosie would be more careful of her stitches.

      Delete
  2. A very pretty sunrise and morning views. Your plants seem to like the sunroom despite the chilly night temperatures. Your winter cactus is such a delicate shade of pink and the violets are lovely. It's nice to have blooms in these dark days of winter. I scrolled down to catch up on your previous posts. So sorry to hear that you both were so sick. Glad that you are on the mend. My little 3 yr. old twin and 5 yr. old grandsons caught covid last month and we had a worrisome time. One became quite ill in and out of the emergency room. All better now, but I will be so grateful when this pandemic is finally behind us. It doesn't seem like that will happen any time soon. Your weather temperatures seem unusual for this time of year. It's been so terrible for so many and I thought of you and worried during the tornado outbreaks. Glad you had your kittens neutered/spayed. There are so many unwanted little cats. I took my pineapple sage inside for the winter but left the rosemary out. Just don't have room, so it is tucked against the house. It has survived 5 years so far in pots. The centerpiece is very pretty. Hope you have a lovely Christmas and wishing you blessings for the new year. x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen; It does seem that the threat of covid has been with us far too long, and in our experience striking both the vaxxed and unvaxxed, a fickle disease, and so dangerous for some. I can understand the worry for your family with sick children.
      I haven't grown pineapple sage recently--will have to look for it at my favorite nursery in the spring. I lost three large rosemarys several years ago when I forgot to bring them in from the porch during a spell of unusually cold weather.
      We feel so pleased to have our warm and comfortable home, the well-stocked pantry--and the company of our cats!

      Delete
  3. Your house plants look happy and healthy. Have a lovely Christmas and a great new year. Love, hugs & prayers, FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; Plants are such a joy, indoors and out. I would have more if space allowed. Like everything else in this house begonias and such aren't always safe from the cats--a leaf must be poked at, a blossom nibbled. I'm careful that I don't grow anything toxic.
      I pray we are all headed toward a calmer and healthier new year!

      Delete