Thursday, November 5, 2020

Shelby-the-Kitten


Three weeks ago today I adopted a kitten. [I have a history of doing this.]

I rode with J. to deliver his vintage Dodge to a paint/body shop owned by an acquaintance.  As the men were unloading the truck from the trailer and then going over it point by point, I noticed a calico kitten skittering about, very much in the way.
I scooped her up and made a fuss over her. 
Tony, noticing this, suggested, 'You like that kitten?  Take it home with you.'

 A year ago when we rescued Clancy from the court house parking lot I felt he should have another  kitten to companion him.  I watched for a sighting of his siblings, having been told they were among the group of homeless cats being fed in a sheltered alley, but never saw a cat or kitten in the area.

Surely Clancy at a year old would still appreciate a feline companion near his own age.
Tony remarked that there were two kittens.  'They seem to hate each other--don't get along,' he said.

As the men continued their discussion another kitten scampered from behind the house.  Like her sister she was a blue-cream tortie but with distinctive tabby stripes. She wasn't as forward as her sister but when I coaxed her closer and picked her up she snuggled against me, seemingly needy.

'Does it matter which kitten I take?  Will you wife mind that you're giving one away?'
My question astonished Tony!
It was kitten number 2 who rode home with us.  
I named her Shelby.

The older cats sniffed of her, grumbled with an attitude of 'Here we go again!'
Clancy, introduced to his new companion, ran and hid.

Shelby developed a sniffle which she gave to Clancy. For a week they sneezed dolefully.  Clancy, though not at his best, began to be intrigued, to instigate noisy chases and tumbles.

Shelby is now bright-eyed, recovered from her 'cold.'
She is rambunctious, always underfoot, greedy. She and Clancy roister through the house, clamber over the furniture.
Well fed now, she is losing her fragile bony appearance. 
She's had her first round of shots with follow-up scheduled for mid-month.
Spaying is tentatively planned for January.

I think often of the other kitten, Shelby's sister, who is unlikely to be pampered and protected.
I didn't choose so much as Shelby chose me.



Shelby, nearly over her sniffles.


Tearing through the house is exhausting. Let me rest.

I don't want to open my eyes, but I'll purr.

Back to my nap--call me when its tea time!

 

10 comments:

  1. So happy to see that you are posting more frequently - especially on such a delightful topic as a new kitten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MTVA; [I see there could be two 'states' represented there.!] A new kitten is so charming. Did we NEED another cat? Possibly not, but there she was--and here she is!

      Delete
  2. Oh she's SO pretty. I am glad she chose you (and I bet she is too!) I would LOVE another kitten hooliganing about the place. Must be sensible though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; Shelby is looking sleek--three weeks of good nourishment and she's beginning to lose her fragile appearance. 'Hooliganing' is a good description for the uproar that she and Clancy can create together.

      Delete
  3. Aw...she's gorgeous, Sharon. And what a lucky kitten she is.
    I understand your worry of the other one. Maybe you need to take another drive. lol
    Thanks for dropping by my blog. It was so nice to hear from you. I will try to post more now that the summer work is behind me.
    Know that our hearts are with you all in America. I hope today is the day. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb; The unrest in our country--and perhaps to a lesser degree in Canada--is nerve-wracking!
      The cats, and our son and daughter-in-law's dogs [they're all with us during a remodel at their house] are a wonderful distraction from realities we can't change.

      Delete
  4. How charming wee Shelby is! I currently have either five or six Tufted Titmice at and around my feeder so no kitties for us, I'm afraid. We do have a big black poodle, however! I'm so glad that 'it's' over as it has been excruciating and about scared the zippers off me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mundi; Our son has given Shelby the nickname of 'Terrorist!' She is a fearless busybody.
      I enjoyed birdfeeders at our home in Wyoming [no outside cats] and had several at our first Kentucky home. Now with cats who have outside privileges I feel it would be unfair to lure birds close to the house.
      As it is, we enjoy cardinals, bluebirds, several varieties of woodpeckers and countless smaller birds.

      Delete
  5. OH!! you have a new kitten!! Lucky Shelby to have found you Sharon, for she will have a good safe life now. well done!

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leanne; I'm hoping we can give Shelby a safe and long life. She is a bit fragile, prone to sniffles, but when she is busy, she is VERY busy!

      Delete