Sunday, October 25, 2020

Colors On a Cloudy Day


A day without sunshine, skies a pale pearly grey, the air warm with a moist softness.
Gusty rain and wind on Friday evening, and a dreary intermittent drizzle on Saturday have brought leaves swirling to the ground to lie in soft drifts along the lane and the edges of the ravines.


Looking into the south ravine.


 There are few sugar maples here to give the crimson and deep scarlet colors of a New England autumn; Shades of gold, russet and bronze prevail, giving an illusion of light even on a day of drab weather.


A sycamore leaf lies bleached and tattered on a bed of earlier fallen leaves.


After many years of country living I should be better at identifying the trees around me.


Some trees still cling to green leaves, a sober background for shades of gold.


Jupiter's beard [centranthus ruber] has produced a few late blooms which hang over the concrete retaining wall at the west end of the house.
Numerous small plants have appeared around the parent plant; I wonder if they will winter over.


Foxglove tucked near the daylilies that march along behind the Double-Red Knock-Out roses


Nasty little green worms stripped most of the foliage from these landscape roses, so I trimmed them back ruthlessly.  A half-opened bloom glows in the grey afternoon.


'Moonlight' nasturtium, a 'second growth' volunteer in its big pot on the back porch.


The surprise of a lemon-hued daylily in the rough strip of garden along the driveway.


Coneflower 'Sensation' grown from seed this season.
A quiet Sunday with neither rain nor sun, but warmed with the gentle faded hues of late autumn.

 

7 comments:

  1. Your weather seems to be much like ours. I think my garden is more beautiful now than it ever was during the summer. What a surprise that your young foxgloves are blooming. I do hope they winter over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary; Some of the foxgloves seem to winter over each year, and by late winter there are self-sown plantlets that I can bring into the greenhouse. Flower gardens here take on a fresh life in September after the heat subsides.

      Delete
  2. Some nice spots of colour around your garden. I have been too busy to notice, but the Michaelmas Daisies are still in full bloom - though blown prone by recent winds, last flowerings of roses which responded well to being fed with David Austin rose food in mid-summer, and little Yesterday down on mum's patio is in full bloom for the 2nd time this year. Amazing.

    Love the Moonlight Nasturtiums - will look for similar next year in my new garden. (Praying I haven't just tempted fate - we have our THIRD Survey today). Our buyer seems determined to find something wrong to get the price down with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall colors and some still blooming glorious flowers. Thanks for sharing and have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; I wish I had your expertise with a camera--it seems so important to record the flowers so that I can look back and see what has done well.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen a sycamore leaf up close. In some ways has a sort of maplely shape. Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil; I am quite intrigued by the sycamores with their patchy bark and and giant leaves. The maple varieties here aren't the 'sugar maples' of New England--sweet gum is a maple relative with attractive leaves and there are 'soft' maples. I wish I could name more of the trees.

      Delete