Wednesday, March 4, 2020

March


 The weather varies not only from day to day, but often from morning through evening.
Tuesday began cloudy, but by late morning the sun broke from behind the banks of grey and the sky turned  blue. 



I decided it was a good time to do errands in the South Fork community.
I needed a fabric for my current quilting project, and was very 'good'--although I enjoyed looking around the quilt shop and imagining how various prints could be used, I bought only the needed 2 yards, then progressed to the produce market and the discount store.



Driving back along the creek road--bottom land flooded from the recent rains.


Wild daffodils always begin blossoming before the season has settled into real springtime warmth. 
In many spots they have colonized to the very edge of the winding roads.
I searched for a spot where it would be safe to pull over long enough to point the camera out the window.


At home late in the afternoon we heard the rasping cronks of sandhill cranes flying northward.
There were two groups; the one in the lead circled and hovered until the second smaller flock  caught them up.


Today's weather was the reverse of yesterday with a brilliant blue sky morning which segued into overcast by mid afternoon. 
Our neighbor is a good steward of his property, barns painted black and the roofs a cheerful red. 
I walk past this view going to and from the mailbox.


The bluebird house matches the rest of the buildings.


A wreath of barbed wire.


Walking along the lane from the mailbox, our land begins to the right of the fence. A forsythia bush marks the corner.  I brought in seven more branches to force.  In this way the tallest branches are being trimmed to keep the bush more compact.


It was too lovely out this afternoon to stay indoors.  Poking about I discovered that two clematis are alive and putting forth new leaves.  This is my favorite, the heirloom, 'Candida' which has now moved with me twice.  The frail clematis cuttings which I cosseted through last summer are looking fragile still--one shows tentative signs of life. The Spring Hills Nursery catalog once again pictures stunning clematis--after a quick look I put the catalog in the fire--I refuse to be tempted again by their offerings!


My cherished lemon verbena is showing fresh growth. For now, until all danger of frosty nights has passed, it is living in the downstairs family room.  An unidentified cat amused himself by stirring the soil, so I have barricaded it with two large rocks, a small trellis, a plastic picnic knife and an old glass insulator.  So far, this cat-proofing seems to work!

I'm not as encouraged by the appearance of the amaryllis--although I brought them back inside from the greenhouse when cold nights threatened, I suspect there was a night when temperatures dropped too low for them.
Outer layers on two of the bulbs were soft, as though frost-nipped. They've not been showing signs of growth in the big window of the family room. I carefully peeled back what I considered to be damaged bits and carried the four pots back to the greenhouse. I've managed in the past to keep amaryllis bulbs alive, but never coaxed them to re-bloom. 
Our friend and former renter, Fred, was successful at this, and bequeathed the amaryllis to me when he moved. 
I missed having blooming amaryllis this year to brighten grey winter days.

I invented small tasks in the greenhouse--mere puttering--but came inside when the late afternoon sky turned grey.
I went through my marked copy of Select Seeds catalog, editing my wish list to a practical size, then placed an online order.
Select Seeds tempts with heirloom varieties of both annuals and perennials, seeds and plants, as well as interesting hybrids of familiar plants. 
Since most of their seed offerings are at $3 or $4 per packet, I've decided that I can be content with the more common varieties of herbs and flowers that appear on seed racks in local venues. 
None of the seeds from earlier seasons, sowed during the warm spell in January have germinated.  
I realized the seed might be too old--and temperatures in the greenhouse too chilly for growth, but the urge to plant and nurture is strong.
Spring is a capricious time--advancing with sunny days and warm temperatures, then retreating with a bluster of chilly wind and icy rain.
Still, the hopes of dedicated gardeners continue to flourish.

Jim brought home a container of soil from his new property several miles away, pointing out that it is of  a better quality than what we have here. 
[He would like me to show some enthusiasm for that project.]
I commented that I envisioned an enlarged area for herbs and flowers between the front steps and the border along the retaining wall. Perhaps some 'good dirt' could be moved in!




12 comments:

  1. Good morning Sharon ~ it is always a treat to read about and see pics of what is going on at your place. Thanks for sharing, for me it's like being on a mini-vacation. ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; I'm glad I provided a bit of diversion for you! I suspect that Kentucky isn't usually considered much of a vacation spot--maybe for the wealthy 'horse people'[?] There is a certain diversity here--the bleak coal-mining region of eastern KY--the flatlands of western KY--the urban sprawl of Louisville. This mostly rural area of south-central KY suits us quite well.

      Delete
  2. You have made me curious about the "new property." Where is your enthusiasm? :~) "Missing Fred." I should think that might be one of the negatives for having moved up onto the ridge. You remind me of me, going about looking for new growth on this and that. My clematis does have a few tiny green shoots putting out. I have been trimming old growth away and have begun removing those tenacious early weeds from my beds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary; The short answer to my lack of enthusiasm for the new property is directly linked to a decline in physical stamina. My husband has a strong entrepreneurial streak, always wanting 'projects.' I'm usually drafted as a helper of sorts, but have warned I don't want an involvement this time around.
      Re soil: our first property in KY had exceptionally good soil conditions--soil this end of the county tends toward gritty and thin. There is creek bottom land that is rich, but floods easily. Always challenges!

      Delete
  3. A nice day for a walk. The clematis here is still under the snow. But, I was wondering if you have ever tried rooting forsythia cuttings. I have often thought about it, but think I might try this Spring. Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil; I'm intrigued with attempting to root some forsythia cuttings. What I'm reading online suggests that the optimum time is when the bush has first come into leaf. Its not that I need more shrubs, but it would be an interesting experiment. I'm sure if I manage some baby plants they will need to be well designated and protected from the resident weed whacker!

      Delete
  4. Glad that the plants you hoped would survive the winter are till hanging on (though that Clematis might worry you for a bit!)

    My clematis here (largely the robust Montanas) are putting out fresh growth and I look forward to them blooming in due course. The non-Montana purply ones mostly came from Morrisons supermarket at £1.50 apiece (cheap!) but haven't let their price hold them back.

    I have been out weeding and tidying in my garden (because of the viewing) and need to press on with it - but I wish it were warmer and more encouraging out.)

    I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for the "new project" but it's good that Jim still has the energy and drive for it . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; I developed a 'thing' for clematis upon discovering the two old varieties at our first Kentucky home. I still regret leaving behind established plants at properties we sold on; in both cases one of the first things new owners did was to clear out roses, clematis--anything which in their minds 'encumbered the ground.' Wal Mart has a garden center that will soon be stocked, mostly very common bedding plants. I'm no longer tempted by their packaged lily and dahlia roots, etc, which are already in stock, but in my experience very feeble things that have been too long in packages.
      There are two decent nurseries located in the South Fork area--I've settled on those and two online sources for seeds and plants, although eyes always peeled for a bargain treasure.

      Delete
  5. So nice to see signs of spring and flocks of returning cranes. I've never had luck with clematis vine until I found an evergreen variety that I keep in a large pot. It's taken years to get going. Wonderful to see wild daffodil along the sides of the road. I like your cat 'repellent' in your pot. Hope you get your 'good soil' delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen; the wild daffs are called 'March lilies' here, although they typically begin appearing--and getting frost-bitten--earlier than March. They are a most welcome sweep of cheerful color.
      I see that a dainty feline paw has again stirred the soil in the lemon verbena in spite of my 'barricades,' but no real damage has been done.

      Delete
  6. I loved reading this. You could compile your posts into a book!
    I have a little trouble with my new kittens climbing into the big plants on the floor that have a lot of soil showing. I was thinking I might try some shells. I have an old insulator I could put in! I like your word "capricious" for spring. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan; I started blogging as an alternative to the untidy hand written I kept sporadically for a number of years. I sometimes read back through sections to see what we were doing. Its sad that so many interesting bloggers no longer post.
      We've always had house cats/kittens and are resigned [mostly] to the messes they make--we are never free of cat hair, litter box duties, concerns for the ones who have outdoor privileges, but that being said it wouldn't feel like home without them.

      Delete