Monday, December 16, 2019

Midway Through December

Sunrise on December 10th.



Although the sky was promising at first light the sun didn't gain in strength.
The air was damp and the wind nippy.



Mid-morning I was working in the kitchen when I noted J. outside pointing and beckoning. I stepped onto the front porch to inquire and he explained, "The sandhill cranes are going over, but they must be waiting for stragglers."
Usually when we notice the sandhill cranes on their early winter or spring migrations, they are a rather loosely formed group winging steadily across the sky, their cronking calls ringing loudly before they trail into the distance.
The behavior of this flock was different:  they circled, wheeling and spinning , staying above the house for nearly 10 minutes before the circle stretched and moved off to the south-west. 


Wednesday [11th] was clear and sunny, a day to bundle up and spend time outdoors.
There had been a light frost and fallen leaves were crisp underfoot.
I am fascinated by the patterns of branches etched against a winter sky.


The treeline on the north side of the house edges the ravine rather untidily.  Jim cleared some low-growing brush there, but left several dead stumps. The long narrow window in the main floor bathroom looks out into the trees. Drying my hands I glanced up and noted a large bird investigating the dead tree trunk. Several smaller woodpeckers bounced about in the branches of surrounding trees.  This was the best zoomed shot I could get of the larger bird. The distinctive black gorget and red swath on its head suggest a Northern Flicker.  The woods here are home to several members of the woodpecker family.


Walking back from the mailbox at the head of the lane I stopped to admire the reflections of our neighbor's cattle. 


The hedgerow which forms our eastern boundary line with  a small farm next door.


I wonder what sort of injury early on caused this tree to develop a twisted trunk.


Willis, faithful watch-cat. He likes this bench on the front deck, often staying there when we think he should be taking advantage of the greater shelter on the back porch.  It is typical of Willis to be waiting for us on our return, whether we've been away briefly or on a day long errand. 


The sun sank into a fiery sky on Wednesday evening and the nearly full moon climbed a star-strewn black sky.  In the wee hours of the morning, moonlight spilling across my pillow woke me, to turn toward the window and marvel. 
Thursday did not fulfill the promise of the brilliant sunset, and as the day progressed sullen clouds moved in. The full moon was hidden and the waning gibbous phase has likewise been invisible.



During the past several days of cloud and drizzle we have been busy indoors.
Jim asked where I wanted to hang this shelf which he made several years ago at the farm from a length of live-edge tulip poplar. 
It is now to the left of the woodstove displaying various vintage tools.


Rummaging through boxes I found this copy of a vintage sign which had never been unwrapped.  It now hangs to the right of the stove pipe. 


We had an errand in Campbellsville and strolled through the aisles of Peddlers' Mall hoping to find a small bookcase to slot in by my desk.  It needed to be large enough to place my printer on top. We found nothing suitable [in fact most of the furniture on offer was of the genre that I call '70's house trailer] so, pondering on the way home I thought of the small shelved unit which has been residing in the downstairs bathroom to hold towels and toiletries.
It is the exact width needed; Jim planed and fitted some lengths of oak lumber to make an extended top. This was an odd unit that we bought several years ago when we bargained for some cabinetry to install in the kitchen of our lower Amish farmhouse. It is a sturdy piece with shelves that can be positioned to suit items of various sizes.  The paint finish is more ivory than it appears in the photo. 
At some point I should paint it either white to match my desk or with my favorite matte black. 
It is very satisfying to repurpose and refurbish.



 My Christmas cactus in bloom in the sun room. 
I usually have amaryllis and/or paperwhite narcissus in bloom at Christmas, but forgot to order them this year. 


Rain has settled in, sometimes a mere damping drizzle, but increasing this afternoon to a deluge that is filling local streams, running along the roads in rushing, foaming torrents.
Thunder has boomed and rumbled.


The sun made feeble and unsuccessful efforts to break through steely clouds, to no avail.
We drove through rain to eat an early supper  at the local buffet we like, then home to make up the fire afresh and draw the curtains against the darkness.
The cats have found cozy spots; Jim is parked in front of his newly installed TV in the downstairs 'family room.'
I'm headed downstairs to press 24 quilt blocks and arrange them for the baby quilt in progress.

Each week our house takes on a more comfortable and familiar air as our small treasures are finally unpacked and displayed.
Yesterday I made bread and a cream of butternut squash soup--filling the rooms with enticing aromas that promised a lovely simple meal.
It is the season to enjoy the rare sunny days and to enjoy our home on the days when the weather keeps us housebound.


7 comments:

  1. Tamzin would come visit if she knew you had THAT soup on the hob - it's her favourite. Glad you are settled into your new home, with a new rhythm of life - time to make and relax (could do with some of that here too!) I like the new decorations on the wall and your repurposed unit.

    Like you, we had thunder this week (unusual in December) accompanied by hailstones. We were glad to be on the inside looking out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather has produced most everything except hail--all in fits and starts.
      I had a sweet red pepper languishing in the fridge so added that to the soup--it all gets put through the blender and 'half and half' [cream] added before serving. I used a pinch of curry for seasoning. J. typically didn't want the leftovers, so they were all mine!

      Delete
  2. Dear Sharon ~ Thank you for another enjoyable, comfy, homey, post. I am happy that you all are settling more into this new/last home of yours. Have a lovely Christmas ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; Thank you for the Christmas wishes. I've been in Florida in January which was a lovely break, but I can't quite imagine decorating in the traditional way in a landscape of palm trees and wind-blown sand instead of snow. Even here in Kentucky we lack the look of a 'Christmas card.'

      Delete
  3. For quite some time now I've been unable to post a comment. Today I tried a different browser and it looks like I'll be able to post!

    I love that you have Sand Hill Cranes! Woodpeckers too! I am watching a male Red-bellied Woodpecker at our suet. Did you know that they are 'horders' as are the Acorn Woodpeckers. Most days a pair of Downy and Hairy are hammering away at one suet feeder or another. Such fun to watch!

    We have been experiencing a milder than usual spate of weather but I am advised by Weather Bug that all of that will come to an abrupt halt within the next few hours and single digits all day tomorrow. I can't help but believe that these wild fluctuations in temperature will have a negative effect on some of my plantings, the Olga Mezzit Rhododendrons in particular.

    Hunting season has come to an end here and the White Tails are out of hiding and spending their night's browsing in our back yard and meadow. Hoping that they will leave my azaleas alone.

    A murmuration of Starlings just performed one of their fanciful maneuvers before settling into a large Sugar Maple. Isn't winter just grand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mundi: Did you end with a 'rhetorical question?' Some aspects of winter are indeed 'grand'--so much of that depends on whether one has to be out driving and commuting in snow and sleet--or whether one's abode is cozily warm.
      We regularly see deer crossing at the edge of our hay field. I rather expected they would nibble at the garden, but thankfully they didn't.
      I didn't know that woodpeckers 'hoard'--
      I wish I could put out bird feeders but it would be unkind to lure birds into the territory of the cats.
      Re New England weather--I've been told that freezing and thawing cycles are rougher on perennials and shrubs than a spell of pure cold. We gardeners always hope for the best.

      Delete
  4. Willis is quite a boy. I'm sure he likes his spot on the deck. Such loyalty to wait there for your arrival. Your Christmas cactus is very healthy. Phil

    ReplyDelete