Friday, December 7, 2018

A Few Sunny Hours


Documenting the on-going dreary weather doesn't make for good reporting.
I fear I may run out of suitable adjectives to describe this autumn and early winter of seemingly endless rain and chill.
Wednesday had been a typically overcast day, but suddenly at sunset, the sun appeared--a red-gold orb plunging toward the western horizon. 


In the path of the setting sun, leafless trees took on a fiery glow.


Even these few moments of light and color lifted our chilled spirits.


Sunday had been notable as a warm day with sunshine.
It was warm enough to crank open a window in the camper and let fresh air sweep through.
I pulled on my wellies and made a project of trundling the wheelie bin up to the burn pit; I invented small tasks to be done outdoors.
There was enough daylight remaining when Howard returned from the weekend at home to begin putting up the double-decker porch.
The shooting boom, rented for a month, was due to be returned on Monday.


By the end of the day the bottom posts were in place.


Shirt sleeve weather!



Planning for the second tier of porch posts.


By Monday morning, temperatures had plunged.  That evening brought snow--thick wet flakes.
The men soldiered on through the week, placing the rest of the porch posts and  nailing down the decking.


I do not do well with 'heights' and I don't parade along the edges of the deck!
The ground underfoot has been muddy and the wind has a definite bite.


Most afternoons I take my camera when I trudge up with hot drinks.


The construction of the porch puts the house in better balance. 
The mid upper section will become a 'sun room.'
Today [Friday] the plumbing is underway and the electricians appeared!
Although the weather has reverted to grey skies and chilly temperatures I am encouraged that progress is on-going!


11 comments:

  1. That porch will really be nice on breezy nights in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil; I'm thinking the porches will be a favorite feature of the house. The enclosed area off the upper door will have heat and A/C so should be usable year round. Benches and chairs for the open areas which will catch morning and late afternoon sun.

      Delete
  2. Your new home is taking shape! Love the decking area. All your posts are still being read and enjoyed greatly by me. Winter set in early this year so we are into all the winter gear for our walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocelyn; Winter seems to have come early everywhere--I remind myself of that when I am inclined to grumble over the cold and damp. I had to rummage in the storage trailer for winter clothes--couldn't locate my turtleneck tops so a visit to the local charity shops was necessary. I did find my long johns, heavy tights, wool socks--all needed.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, real progress there. I love the notion of that big sun room over the porch. It looks a good sized house - so you will have a LOVELY BIG sewing room I am sure!

    Glad that you had SOME sunshine - before that snow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; This is a mid-sized house for our rural area--many are tiny 'bungalows built 40 or 50 years ago. There will be a choice of pleasant areas to eat, sit, watch TV [downstairs] and quite a bit of storage. My sewing room will be in the back basement area--no daylight, so I have requested that very good work lighting be installed.

      Delete
  4. You have to be getting excited about how nicely the new house is coming together. I just know you are going to love those porches, especially after the railing goes up around the upper one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chip; I am so pleased that progress continues in spite of unfavorable weather. I think of the porches, both upper and lower, with planters and tubs of flowers. I will be treading warily out there until the railings are in place.

      Delete
  5. Seeing your house coming along is so exiting.

    Happy Christmas holidays ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; Thank you for the Christmas wishes. Our Christmas keeping of late years has been quiet--shopping/gifting at a minimum, in part as all the important family birthdays fall just before or after Christmas and I like to concentrate my efforts there. Living in the camper I can't bake or craft things to share.
      The house progress is encouraging--I go in and try to visualize the finished spaces.

      Delete
  6. Goodness, I 'am' impressed! Your carpenters are absolute keepers! The progress that has been made in just a few short weeks is remarkable and if Mother Nature decides to throw a winter hissy fit, well so be it. There is plenty of indoor work to be accomplished when the weather is foul. Those two porches are fabulous; the idea that they will be open on three sides is genius. You should be able to capture even the gentlest of breezes.

    Vermont weather has been anything but normal. Our local nurserymen showed up here this morning at a Sparrow's Fart with a very large Sycamore tree to be planted in our back meadow and two native Winterberry shrubs. Our meadows are traditionally wet but this year the standing water made it nearly impossible to mow. Over the years we've planted trees and shrubs out there that really love 'wet feet' and all have done really well.

    Keep the photos coming as we all love to live your dream, albeit vicariously.

    ReplyDelete