Saturday, October 27, 2018

Progress Before Rain


Three days of crisp sunny weather saw much accomplished on the house project.


Walk-out/daylight basement framed and walls going up for main story.
Large windows will take advantage of light for the guest bedroom and family room which will be located in front. The rooms behind [bath, laundry, storage and sewing room] will depend on electric lights.


I walked one noon to the eastern fence line. The adjacent property is a working farm.
Old hickory and  oak trees frame the view into the meadow.



There is good farm land here at the top of the ridge, although individual farms are small.



A few stems of late frost asters and nubby clumps of ageratum lean against the weathered boards of the fence.



 Goldenrod has faded, no longer brilliant and glowing.



Jim turned the sod on a strip of ground below the barn--a place for the plants which spent the summer in pots ranged along the edge of the farmhouse side porch and on the cement landing below the walk. 

At the time I began rescuing favored perennials from the invasive mugwort and bindweed I had no clear idea how I might rework what had become an impossible garden.  With the sale of the farmhouse pending I decided to move these to our new location. 

This is a rough strip; I was able to fork over the soil, remove stones and rake it nearly level.  Ideally, the ground should have been tilled smooth, perhaps a bale of peat moss worked in. I would have needed Jim's help for that and he had no time to spare.

I labored for two afternoons, muscles protesting. It is late for transplanting, but each plant went into the ground surrounded by the soil mix in which new roots had developed over the past few months. I hope that this will lesson the shock of chilly coarse soil.

When I quit working on the second afternoon, the weather was deteriorating, chilly and damp.
I have one peony remaining to be situated, and some small lily bulbs. 
I think the lilies might fare best in a container. 
The dwarf daylilies can, I hope, remain safely in their metal tubs. 

I have a vigorous and bushy thyme which self-seeded into a pot last season and a rather frail lavender, survivor of the rain and humidity which slowly spoiled those in the herb plot.
Two of my three miniature roses revived when I transferred them to smaller pots with a coarser soil mix. I'm considering placing the small pots in larger containers with a loose mixture of soil and dry leaves layered round for insulation. 


I am especially pleased with these foxgloves, started from seed in April.
I think the variety is 'Camelot'--will check when I can locate seed packets in the spring.
The idea of designing foundation plantings for the new house is a bit daunting. 
Nursery catalogs will begin crowding the mailbox in a few weeks, and I will have the winter months to ponder and plan. I don't expect to be adventurous; my choices will likely be rather conventional--hardy shrubs under-planted with low-growing varieties for bloom and fragrance. 
I still hope for raised beds!
I can dream!


14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided on a walk-out basement, with usable everyday living space, yet some protection from severe weather. Here in MN I grew up with that type of house, and it was a really nice, livable, cozy experience. I know you will like it as you go on. Good to have the large windows too! Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil; I'm interested to learn that this type of house has been popular in your area. If a daylight basement is dry it can double the living space at low cost. Most of the Amish farmhouses here are built in that way and we found that it makes for practical heating and cooling. We like large windows to connect with our country surroundings.

      Delete
  2. I’ve enjoyed catching up with your latest posts. Your lovely writing style has me feeling I’m there with you as you manage this upheaval and move. It is all doable, but my the work of it. And I know because 3 years ago, I had to pack up the old farmhouse with 47 years of accumulation by hubby. I lost weight in the process! Be kind to yourself and enjoy those walks in the beautiful area where you are building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocelyn; Moving is always an upheaval, isn't it--and less stamina for the process as we age! I'm already wishing I had managed to cull and dispose of more 'stuff.' When the house is finished I intend to be selective about how much is moved into it. Walking around the property is helping me to feel like I belong here.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing the progress on your new home and am amazed at how fast it is all going.

    Enjoy your seed/plant catalogs and dreaming of your new gardens spaces.

    Happy Fall ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; When it isn't raining the work goes at a good pace--my husband and son know their craft!
      I hope I can keep my garden 'dreams' at a manageable level.

      Delete
  4. Looks like good progress. I'm going to work in the garden today, it's finally cool enough and the garden is an awful mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet; How wonderful that you are feeling able to tackle your garden. This steamy wet summer wasn't a good one for working outdoors--very frustrating. Here in Kentucky, fall finally landed on us with a crash--cold and wet!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh! Lost track of you. Having blog issues and other internet netherworld things.
    I'm so happy for you and your move. Looks totally awesome, though moving is a pain.
    I will check back often as I can.
    Denimflyz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky--Hello Again! Moving is a total disruption, even when it comes as a practical choice! I hope you can sort your internet issues. I noticed you've undertaken some new ventures.

      Delete
  6. Great progress on the house. Very exciting. We are still working on ours. lol We are doing a lot of it ourselves. Hope you are still enjoying your walks. We have snow here now. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb; Snow and early winter weather has come to the north east with a vengeance! I was enjoying your house building project before I knew we would be doing the same thing. I have to say that your temporary quarters are far tidier than mine. Our 'camper' is seeming very full of cats, muddy shoes, and too many oddments I dragged in thinking they were needed. I go out to walk around several times a day--unless rain is pelting down.

      Delete
  7. I'm not sure that I've ever heard the term 'day light basement' but we have one!! Who knew?? Our cold room is in the very back of the cellar and it was one of my better decisions......dark, cold and perfect for all manner of storage from Rubbermaid tubs filled with yarn stash to canning supplies and light bulbs. You get the picture.
    Your photos are so reminiscent of our building project right down to the 'nursery garden' and it makes me smile from ear to ear. Inconvenient it may be but how fabulous that you are right there for all of of the fun.
    The footprint of our house is fairly small so we have created a second living space in the front window filled southeast facing basement.
    Walking your land must be calming and exciting.....and I do think that you are spot on about being very selective about what chatel you move into your new house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mundi; I'd forgotten the word 'chattel'--a perfect description of the 'stuff' crammed into the storage trailer! We have lived in a variety of houses over the years, most of them built by Jim. The house currently under way is meant to be compact, easy care. I'm arguing with J. re storage space on the main floor--going to need organized storage in the back part of that basement. We worked through several 'plans' on paper. There are always a few changes as the house takes shape. Being 'on site' is both exciting--and at times, frustrating!

    ReplyDelete