Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What Next?

Snow was threatening yesterday. By late afternoon the wind was howling and these ravens teetered in the blast. We woke to snow on the ground and continued wind, the foothills obscured with snow clouds, roads closed. Our son was planning to come over the mountain today, but phoned at the last minute asking me to check the WYDOT website. The webcams on South Pass showed a dirty grey/white blanket which obilterated all visibility. The road was posted as "closed" and the "barriers" in place to prevent any attempts at travel. I just listened to the evening weather report on Public Radio: more snow tonight and well into tomorrow for the entire state. The list of road closures was so inclusive that in this state with so few major highways it seems like traffic must be at a standstill.
I find I don't have what it takes tonight to work on the current quilt blocks or compose the several interesting blog posts which have been brewing in my mind. I've been enjoying the essays in "The Countryman Companion" sent to me on the airmail wings of friendship from BB in Wales. I read more than half of the latest Maisie Dobbs mystery last evening and will probably finish it as soon as I escape to my battered wing chair.
I had to prepare the yearly financial statement for our bank today--one of those tasks I dislike. I finished a large quilt at the shop yesterday and started today on another round of placemats. I feel justified in huddling with my books and my mug of tea and any cats that want my company!

Pebbles has been a great source of worry these past two weeks. She ate a quantity of grass that had been under the snow--which, we have learned, has a high concentration of sugars and starches not good for a horse with a tendancy to laminitis. She has had the vet. She has been confined to a small rather stark paddock. She has had the farrier. Her feed has been changed. Last evening, driven by her greedy nature, she opened the gate and helped herself to some alfalfa hay with resulting set back this morning in lameness. Blasted, BEASTLY, BELOVED horse! I was near tears of despair--and perversely I wanted to go out and kick her. I opened the window and bellowed, "Wretched horse, do you want to DIE??!!"
She had another dose of bute, was remanded to the paddock and the gate tied firmly shut. Her supply of plain good grass hay has been replenished from a neighbor's stock, since our son couldn't get across the "pass" with the hay he was meant to deliver.

Meals have been simple comfort food, easily prepared, tasty when warmed over for a second round. This was a skillet of beef, potato, carrot, onion, with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, bay leaf and a pinch of thyme.



Fresh loaves cool on the rack, another comfort. The process of mixing, kneading, rising and then the baking, has a homely familiarity.
There are those times when the mild irritations and problems of day to day living and running a business seem to multiply and must be met head on, with little chance to ponder, regroup, rest. We have considered ourselves fortunate that in a period of severe recession our debt to equity ratio has remained favorable. Still, there are many uncertainties, changes, frustrations which we are really powerless to solve.
We are less than ever assured that there will ultimately be a closing on the spec house with the young couple who are renting it. One obstacle after another has been thrown in the way of that happening. At least one aggravating situation that has loomed from a distance for months has moved in as a reality which must be dealt with cautiously, and we fear, rather expensively.
At such times, my mantra becomes, "grant us wisdom, grant us courage; for the facing of this hour"--words which echo in my mind to that grand Welsh tune, Cwm Rhondda.
We have come through various adverse situations over the years, emotional, financial, physical, stressful-- emerging, if not always victorious, still on our feet. I expect it will be the same this time. As we grow older I find I resent the tolls of energy demanded to meet reversals and obstacles.
That said, I'm grateful for the brief retreat afforded by an evening or two of simply collapsing in my corner with a good book.





6 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4xYIGH-pI8 Link so you can sing along with them!

    So sorry that Pebbles has set back her recovery - though you can understand her point of view! Wretched horse, you could do without the worry over her health.

    Snow again too, and sounding much more serious snow this times if all your routes through the mountains are shut. We on the other hand, have it REALLY mild - practically t-shirt weather out there, which is good for the heating bills!

    I'm glad that you're enjoying 'The Countryman Companion'. As of Tuesday there is another book winging its way to you, and hopefully not getting mixed up in the PO strikes over here (3 days this week after 2 days last, this with the PO teetering on closure anyway - madness!)

    Snap, I made bread yesterday too, but I only do one loaf at a time, as there's no room in the freezer for spare loaves right now.

    I hope that you can get the issues sorted out over that couple renting the spec house. Things happen like that sometimes, just problem after problem thrown in the way of an issue being resolved. Very worrying and frustrating.

    Enjoy your day of ease with a good book and some comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! The older I get, the less I want to deal with anything that isn't pure pleasure like comfort food and a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hullo MM,

    I came along to post a small and supportive wee comment and as usual find myself looking at whats here already, if any.

    I find that in reality all I can say is "ditto" to much of what BB has already posted.

    Hope things turn around for you guys quickly.

    Keep your head up. Keep posting and us Brits will try and make sure that the postal strike doen't get to the old blogs at this end either.

    kind regards.....Al.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH Sharon , I am so sorry to hear you are having so many problems and I hope they begin to sort themselves out. Poor Pebbles ...I know that certain food stuff can make them so ill ...but like a baby they know no better. I have a cat who will hunt for a dropped piece of leek or onion ...which can be poisonus to some cats ... and then I find blood in her poo which means she found some.

    That Stew looks yummy ...love rustic food .... and yes they taste even better the next day.
    What I marvel at is your energy to knead all those loaves .... two and I'm bushed lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for such supportive comments. We all have these times when too many worrying things are going on and we have to "spin our wheels" while we wait for solutions.
    In the meantime, good books, good friends and the company of the cats is heartening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello again. Horses! I love them, and they do beautify a landscape, but my they can be so much work when you love them and treat them right. Sorry that you are having so many things to deal with all at once...i agree that the older i get, the harder it is to deal with a multiplicity of problems at the same time. Lovely stew, fresh baked bread, a mug of tea, some quilt mags, and lap cats sounds like an excellent prescription for relaxation for a bit.

    ReplyDelete