Thursday, December 5, 2019

Blown Into December

The last two weeks of November sped past, busier than I had expected. 
The weather, turning colder, caught friends at a vulnerable point in an unfinished building project, so Jim went to help, putting up insulation, configuring some wiring. I rounded up extra sweaters and bedding to bring more comfort to those staying in temporary quarters. 

Mornings have been slow;  a hint of gold on the eastern horizon hasn't always brought a sunny day.
On the 20th, we waited for fog and mist to 'burn off' then headed for the home of our son and daughter-in-law in Tennessee.  Jim had decided to leave a 'spare' pickup truck there, which meant I needed to follow him driving another truck.  I had some misgivings about that, as I've not driven any great distance since moving to Kentucky.  
The first hour of driving was along typically winding roads--if there is a slow-moving vehicle in front, there we are for miles, waiting for a clear passing zone. 

Going over Cagle Mountain there was still tawny color on the oaks, and the mellow slant of late autumn light bathing the deep valleys.  The road down the mountain is so steep and winding that I could spare only a few glances for the scenery.

Leaving one truck parked in Howard's dooryard, I became a passenger while Jim drove us over torturous Suck Creek Gap and then through cringe-worthy city traffic to connect up with Howard and his cousins who live near where he is doing custom carpentry. 
It was a joy while there to meet our not quite three year old great-nephew.

Home before midnight to see a deer, two possums, and a large rabbit hurrying away down the lane, picked out in the glare of our headlights.

Howard and Dawn [and their dogs] were with us for several days over the Thanksgiving holiday. The festive meal was held at the home of our daughter and son-in-law, Gina and Matt. Our nephew and his family were also present--lovely food, good company.
As the afternoon wore on, the sun disappeared, the wind came up and inky clouds moved in.

Bursts of heavy rain and a strong cold wind prevailed through the first two days of December.  Bundled up one morning to take out cat litter I glanced down the lane just as the top of a dead tree broke and pitched downward.  It was one of the fire-damaged trees which stood near the burned remains of the former owner's house.

During several days of inclement weather I got on with sorting things in the lower level rooms.
["Sorting" doesn't mean that everything has found a proper place!]
Jim announced that he was in the mood to deal with some pictures and decorative items so I hurried to be helpful. 
This is my favorite quilt rack, one that Jim made from tulip poplar harvested on the Amish farm.
My three cherished reproduction maps are now hanging above the piano.

An oil painting, dear to me for memories of a special place, now hangs to the left of my desk.

Not a good photo--with the flash reflection.
These prints came from a lovely gardening book.
I framed them to hang in the kitchen of our first Wyoming house.
They've faded a bit, but add color to the wall near the pantry.

I would like to display some of our vintage collectibles on the shelf [created by Howard] which runs above my baking counter.
Obviously, this wouldn't be a good plan.

We have too much help!

Robert is supervising!

The joy of the sun returning!

Note the nest of the grey squirrels in the top of a tree. During summer months I watched the squirrels leap from tree to tree--there are also large nests in the trees to the right of the photo.

The neighbor's property can now be viewed through the trees in the shallow ravine to the south of the house.

Every daylight hour is precious in these weeks leading to the winter solstice.

Jim has happily taken advantage of three sunny days to construct a shelter for fire wood.

This is firewood that moved with us from our Amish farm.

Part of the woodpile has already been stashed under the roof.

As we settle into the first winter in our new house,  I delight in the slow process of making the spaces more personal, of finding room for favorite bits and pieces. 
We are blessed to be so comfortable in the variables of weather.


  1. A productive day! The sky is so beautiful this time of year. I'm glad the kitties have a warm, high place to perch.

    1. Phil' The 'kitties' are both the delight and the bane of our household! Something primeval in the way a feline must seek out a high overlook.
      A colorful sunrise is a cheering start for the day.

  2. So nice to see another post from you dear Sharon. You and Jim sound happy in your new home and I can imagine the pleasure you are having setting things up that have been packed/stored away. It's amazing to me that this home of yours was built so fast. Great job!!

    Have a wonderful Christmas sesaon ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    1. Rainey; I think its taking me nearly as long to 'organize' the house as it did to build it! We are so blessed that our son could be here to help with the construction project.

  3. It must be a wonderful exciting period in your life, as you slowly turn the new house into a home. Cats settling in, plants to flower when spring comes around.

  4. Thelma; I'm enjoying the house, although truly dismayed that I'm so slow at getting sorted. Unpacking and arranging has to fit around the more usual activities of the day. Each bit of progress is encouraging.


Word verification necessary at this time to hopefully filter a spate of nastily explicit spam. If that doesn't catch it, I will temporarily disable comments. Many bloggers report an increase in this since the new format became default.