Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Leaves in the Wind, Cats, Comfort Food

The wind was biting on Monday--a side-effect of Hurricane Sandy which has raged up the east coast of the US. The sky here was blue with sailing puffs of fat white clouds.
The wind, coming out of the North, swept the leaves from the maples near the drive, creating a natural 'bedding' for the perennial strips.

The three kittens and Willis were beside themselves with chasing leaves, spatting their paws to pin some down as they whisked past.

Bobby McGee in the leaves.

Willis--a bit on his dignity.
It grew colder as evening came on.
We sat on either side of the fireplace, J. watching TV [sigh] while I managed, for the most part, to tune it out and immerse myself in a good mystery.
Wind moaned in the chimney and I could see branches swaying and throwing dancing shadows
under the yard light whenever I stepped to the glass doors in the dining area.
It wasn't a damaging wind and rather mild compared to the almost daily whipping winds we
knew in Wyoming.
After J. went to bed, the cats and I sat on, enjoying the warmth of the fire.
I lifted my eyes from my reading with each fresh gust of wind and thought of those living in the
path of the storm.

We woke to a dank and chilly day.
J. puttered about in the garage for awhile.
I tidied up after a hearty breakfat, took a load of laundry downstairs.
When J. came in he announced it was a good donut making day.
We don't make these in hot weather, but there is something very homey about fresh, sugary donuts with a mug of tea or coffee when the weather is brisk.

I mix the dough and cut out the rounds.
J. fries them and shakes them in the cinnamon-sugar coating.
This time I added powdered vanilla to the mix in the paper bag--a nice touch.

I make no apologies for these--health food they are not--warm donuts are comfort food of long-standing tradition in farm kitchens.

Off-subject for wind, cats and donuts, but here are the latest roses brought in from of the cold.

21 comments:

  1. Oh boy, you're killin' me here. They look scrumpdillyishus.
    Don't you just love it when a cat 'splats' i't s paw down. Makes me laugh every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so guilty basking in our beautiful weather and watching the devastation in the East on TV. I'm not a big donut eater but i bet homemade ones are a lot better than the ones I've been exposed to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris; I think store-bought donuts are dreadful--the 'raised' kind from a donut shop are better, but these are my favorites.
      Storms have such a dreaful effect on highly populated areas--one can hardly dare to imagine the devastation and the mess.

      Delete
  3. Oh, these do remind me of my Grandmother's doughnuts, - it is years since I have made them, - you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hildred; My husband's grandmother made doughnuts for us when we were first married and rented her farmhouse. They are a homey treat.

      Delete
  4. These are something i have never tried to make ...they look so yummy ...I love anything with cinamon.

    My favoutite shot of cats with leaves is the one of Bobby McGee ...just love the autumnal colours as a setting for his black and white fur. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie; The doughnuts are best when still warm, but they do keep well to go with coffee for several mornings after. The biggest drawback is the amount of veg oil needed to fry them.
      The kittens are enjoying the leaf games so much--they chase until they are tired out.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you regarding the tv. We didn't have one for years and have recently succumbed, how I wish we hadn't, its mind numbingly boring, I usually read or knit whilst it drones on in the background for Mr.T.

    I have never made doughnuts, I must look into it. I wonder do you have to let the dough rise like bread?

    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briony; These doughnuts don't use yeast--the dough rolls best if its left for about 10 minutes after mixing. Raised doughnuts are quite delicate to handle--I recall an elderly friend making them to share--it takes a careful hand to lift them from a tray and slip them into the kettle.
      I could live happily with NO tv-- and I'm not good at tuning it out!

      Delete
  6. That's the good thing about our English weather- never too hot for donuts LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath; I might relish a donut in summer weather--but wouldn't want to heat up the kitchen to produce them!

      Delete
  7. To h**l with health food, your donuts look wonderful!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet; We try to have healthy meals--but--I don't think a few homemade treats will do us in!

      Delete
  8. Those doughnuts do look good!

    Interesting to see how quickly your trees have been stripped of their leaves by the winds on the edge of the hurricane. The kittens must be loving their first autumn playing in fallen leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann; Already the fallen leaves are losing their color adn going crunchy underfoot. The kittens are highly inspired by all the blowing and whisking about.

      Delete
  9. Oh my - I'm on my way - those doughnuts look SO GOOD!

    I think Bobby is SO sweet, and I don't know how I hadn't realized he was long haired until today. I'm glad you missed Sandy but feel very bad for those who didn't . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; Bobby and Nellie both have quite fluffy hair, while Little Edward is very sleek. The kittens were so under nourished when they arrived that their coats were very rusty and tatty. It has been a joy to watch them 'fill out' and their coats become soft and thick.
      The doughnuts are a fine bulwark against cold mornings!

      Delete
  11. Sitting by an open fire reading a good mystery novel sounds a perfect way to spend an autumn evening. Those doughnuts look so good - pity I can't pick one off the screen and eat it:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My first time here. Enjoyed the post. I'm with you on the TV thing. Hubs has it on ALLLLLLLL DAYYYYYYY. Praise God for my office downstairs where I can close the door if need be. Enjoyed the cats. I belong to a siamese that adopted me.

    My mother used to make doughnuts and pass them out to trick-or-treaters. Oh, how their eyes lit up, and they'd stuff them right in their mouths before they left the porch. Now parents worry about stuff like that. *Sigh*...... A different time.... --Ilene

    ReplyDelete