The refinishing of the vintage blue cupboard has loomed over me as the last [?] of my large painting projects. I bought it in the mid 1980's when we lived in Vermont. A neighbor with New Jersey connections made frequent trips there to purchase antiques. He offered me the cupboard with the option of choosing the paint color. I decided on 'Cupboard Blue' from the Old Village line of oil-based paints. The cupboard fit well in our small log cabin home, where I used it for the storage of china and glassware.
During the Wyoming years the cupboard moved with us from house to house serving various functions.
Our first Kentucky house was small; when Jim renovated half of the basement as a sewing and craft area, the blue cupboard lived in that space, the shelves holding part of my fabric stash.
In an ill-considered moment I decided to paint the cupboard green. It wasn't a wise move.
A local shop carried the paints in 'historic' colors, but oil-based was no longer available.
To shorten the tale of woe, I can testify that 'milk paint' over oil-based isn't a reliable bond.
The cupboard doors were made of tongue and groove, the fit not precise.
I've wondered if the doors were a later addition to this rather primitive piece. Removing the hardware to lift off the doors proved a daunting task which required Jim to use a chisel and hammer to loosen the elderly hinges.
I've set the doors aside for later consideration--I may not reinstall them.
I began work on the cupboard where it has been sitting since our move here nearly three years ago--in the basement room which leads out to the back porch.
I went at the thing rather grimly with the power sander, sought advice regarding primer, applied a coat of Zinsser oil-based which son Howard assured me would prevent any possibility of 'issues' from the residue of the old paint.
The change in weather made the basement too chilly for happy painting, so this afternoon Jim trundled the cupboard across the graveled space and into his shop where the wood stove made for a friendlier work space.
The cupboard is now wearing a base coat of Valspar Cannonball Black in satin finish.
The shelves don't need repainting.
The final coats of paint shouldn't present much challenge.
I took advantage of the warm shop to paint the frame of a small bench, as well as some other small pieces.
Painting 'rungs' and avoiding drips or runs is challenging.
When not painting I've been sewing--yet more aprons!
I've wished I could sell a few of these--they go for fancy prices in online shops, but I lack a proper venue locally, although the little store and cafe on the corner is happy to display them along with the work of other area artists and crafters.
I sent a few away on consignment months ago, but that venture seems to have faded out.
The aprons have been appreciated as gifts and I enjoy sourcing the materials through ebay or etsy, but it may be time to quit making them.
While rummaging through bins of fabric I located the remnants of a favorite bed sheet-- strips salvaged when the center of the sheet became worn.
The cotton is silky, washed to a pleasant softness.
I use a king size pillow--Jim has a smaller one, so a regular set of pillowcases doesn't suit.
An hour's work and we have matching pillowslips in the designated sizes--and I can give a nod to my heritage of 'Yankee' thrift.
I finished up that rainy afternoon by patching the elbows of several work shirts which Jim refuses to consign to the ragbag.
If you've patched shirt elbows lately you know its a job destined to leave one feeling cantankerous!
At least my sewing table is cleared and I can see the end of the big cupboard renovation.
Tomorrow should bring a day of reckoning with the dust kittens that have accumulated in corners; Jim ate the last slices of homemade bread with warmed over spaghetti for supper, so baking heads the list of 'things to do!'