Sunday, May 17, 2020

The Determined Gardener


Three nights of hard frost during the first week of May did considerable damage, in spite of our care in covering everything vulnerable.
Above is one of the least damaged of the tomato plants--the largest ones, with blossoms and tiny green tomatoes forming, were a complete loss.

Today we set out 8 more tomato plants that I raised from seed; 4 of them are heirlooms saved from our neighbor's garden at the farm.  He lost the tag, so I refer to them as 'Fred's Pink'--a meaty later season variety with rose-red skins.
The other 4 are an early variety, Independence Day.  I will be surprised to see a ripe tomato by July 4th this year!

My favorite garden center in the Mennonite/Amish community at South Fork, posted on their Face Book page that they were completely out of bedding size tomato plants as of Friday and had a new crop coming on; this suggests that the killing frost was wide spread resulting in a mad rush of gardeners to replace damaged plants.
I have a dozen more tomato plants potted on a few days ago--a variety new to me--Abe Lincoln.
 Also planted out today were cucumbers, cantaloupe, and Butternut Squash. 
A third try on green beans--no germination on earlier plantings, so either the cold wet weather is to blame or bad seed.  We seem to be settled into the normal warmth of May which should encourage quick germination.



Glancing out the front windows on my way into the kitchen Tuesday morning, I was astonished to see our neighbor's cattle strolling through the garden.
The Brahman bull is a mild seeming creature, but we didn't take chances.
Jim did the time honored thing of shouting and waving his arms, then herded the cattle with his truck.


The cattle milled about, straggled down the lane.


J. chased them, engine revving, horn blaring and ran them up the lane, then located their owner.
The private road branches into three properties here--the middle one is owned by a man who is frequently out of state, but allows his pasture to be used.
Turns out he came in late at night, neglected to close the gate.
As soon as the cattle heard their owner's truck roar up the lane, they trotted obediently into the designated pasture and the gate was clanged shut.


It was too wet, the soil too cold for several days to clean up and replant. Poking about along the west retaining wall, I spied a salamander.  These little creatures [Pseudotriton ruber] were common in Vermont--I've not often seen them here. 


 Trying to get a better photo angle on the salamander I was startled when a toad bounced alongside.


Willis is committed to assisting in the gardens.


Willis is also insistent that the newly planted herb garden is the place for him to sprawl in comfort.
I've stuck plastic cutlery around the latest additions to the plot, but he can fold himself around such barricades. 




More help than I need, but Willis can't be faulted for loyalty.



I am determined to clear this area of weeds. The soil here is the heavy stuff that was excavated for construction and then back-filled. The window looks into the downstairs guest room. Beyond the foxglove and three David Austin roses is a mere rubble of small stones and the coarse weeds that so quickly invaded. 
The spot under the window is grubbed clear--no small job this afternoon--and a tentative plan begins to emerge. 
More digging needed, compost, top soil, constant vigilance against encroaching weeds, and maybe I can achieve something that will please the eye.
Ne rest for the weary, but still determined gardener. 

12 comments:

  1. We also had a killing frost earlier in spring, but our problem has been too much rain. The garden is so wet and I covered my baby foxglove plants to keep them from drowning. The hay fields are ready to cut and bale but today water was flowing through them and it will take a few days for the ground to dry out enough to bale. Then there's the prediction for more rain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red Hen; I believe you are in the 'south' but not sure what state. As I have moaned about my gardens this spring I've been aware of the more urgent concerns for those who make a living through any kind of farming. One feels so helpless as bad weather spoils crops and harvests. Last summer--drought--now a cold and rainy spring. I hope to hear that the season rights itself for you.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, sometimes it takes a great deal of determination. I have spots like that too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hildred; My stamina used to be more the equal of my determination. I'm not quite ready to relinquish my ambitions for landscaping/gardening the new property [now in its second summer] but I may need to learn the wisdom of moderation.

      Delete
  3. Tamzin is currently cursing the cats - well, one or two in particular (one whose name may begin with a G!) who have managed to get past her cat-proof fencing to utilise a newly dug (and planted) area as a lavatory . . . We have now put chicken wire fencing into place - get past THAT you pests!

    We had a couple of frosts too - covered everything over and they survived, but some of the softer leaved garden plants took a hit and top leaves are feeling a bit sorry for themselves. On our walk from the views on the lane up to Horeb the wild plants had been hit far worse and whole Ferns and upper leaves of oaks in particular were browned.

    I hope you can get to grips with your "trashy soil" area, and get it weeded and planted up.

    Your Salamander looks very like a larger and ginger version of our pond Newts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; We can depend on a rush of cats to 'make deposits' in any newly tilled strip of ground. Most aggravating, but cats will be cats. This morning I noted a large poo near the strawberry planter--possum or coon--I'm not the best at scatology. Have you noticed no one is announcing that we are having a spell of 'global cooling?' My warm clothes are still handy on the closet shelf!

      Delete
  4. P.S. Tomato plants are in very short supply here in Wales and ours took 2 or 3 sowings to get plants happy to grow. We were DELIGHTED to be left 11 really well grown greenhouse tomato plants last week - finally discovered it was the Estonian lady who works for Next Door (milking) and repaid her in cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; I'm considering sowing a few more tomato seeds in the greenhouse. I think I could have some big enough to plant out in late June.Early tomato plants here suffer from wilt/blight by mid-July, so its good to have a few ready for a later crop--depending on weather.

      Delete
  5. Well frost is expected as late as May, sometimes, horror of horrors, snow. Never had to contend with cattle in the garden, but shortages of plants are being experienced round here as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thelma; In our native New England it was ritual to plant the main garden on Memorial Day [30th May] In a 'good' year a few salad greens could be sown in late April. Gardening in Kentucky is still a learning curve after 10 years.
      Living in the country one is often subjected to visiting livestock!

      Delete
  6. Ah yes! Ever the intrepid gardener! I've never seen a Red Salamander but have certainly seen many a Red Eft. I too have spent some busy days in the garden. This is the time to tackle those chores that are pure torture on a hot summer's day. Particularly for those of us that wear glasses. We've had several good hard frosts but as we are significantly behind you I had no tomatoes in my garden and no tender annuals in outdoor planters. Just today I rescued my Bourgainvilla pots from the heated barn tackroom and placed them in partial shade to adjust to life unprotected.

    Looking at the area below the window that you are grubbing out I was thinking how lovely for you that the dreaded Mugwort was left behind at your last farm. I think I remember telling you that I had successfully erradicated all of mine. Well, pride goeth before a fall! I have found a new patch and it is large. How could I have missed it??

    The Cornus Florida's have just come into bloom here with the Redbuds just behind. Lilacs and Viburnams to follow! Best time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mundi; Mugwort--NO! Last year I was constantly watchful to make sure that none of the dreaded roots had come with the plants I brought from the farm. Said plants had been removed from the garden and spent much of the summer of 2018 in bagged soil from the garden center--but I was still wary. Now, trying to create gardens from pasture, I've decided that buttercup is the new nemesis. My little lilacs are holding their own and I've seen a few lilacs blooming in the area earlier. I suspect some of our milder winters wouldn't promote bloom.
      Do you have a plan of attack for the mugwort?

      Delete