Monday, April 1, 2019

April: A New Month


The buds of  'Jane' magnolia showed their first hint of color on March 18.
I've seen similar small shrubby trees in yards around town since moving to Kentucky, but in ignorance of their identity referred to them as 'tulip trees' referencing the shape of the opening blooms. Blog friend, Mundi, recognized the variety when I posted a photo of a late blossom or two soon after we purchased our property.


The tree is sited near the original house here which burned to the ground [mysteriously] during the tenancy of former owners.
'Jane' is a bit lop-sided due to fire-damaged branches which Howard pruned for me in the autumn.


The flowers continued to open during the breezy blue-sky days of mid-March.


'Jane's petals strewed on the ground after a night of wind and chilly rain.

March was ushered toward her end on Saturday evening when driving rain blew in.
Thunder rumbled, branches tossed.  It wasn't a threatening wind, but the sound kept me awake for more than an hour, yet when I woke toward morning a few stars rode the night sky.

One of the comforts of having 'my own room' is my choice to keep the curtains open at night.
During the nights when the super moon was waxing toward fullness I found joy in waking to a spill of moonlight across my pillows.
Jim prefers the curtains closed, and usually he wants 'lights out' an hour or more before I'm inclined toward bedtime.
Our arrangement of adjoining bedrooms is working well--and the cats are pleased to have a choice between two occupied beds.


I continue to unpack and attempt to organize household goods, although at a much slower pace than I anticipated. 
I've spent [wasted] hours rummaging in the depths of the storage trailer--usually on a 'mission' for a particular wanted item.
I have shoved at pieces of furniture, heaved boxes and bins  about, much to my detriment.
I have lugged up armloads of belongings from the camper trailer adding them to small desolate heaps of items which haven't yet found a place.
Until the lower level rooms are finished, there is a sense of temporary arrangement.
Eventually, I suspect we will have an excess of furniture to give away.
Yesterday afternoon I persevered and sorted three boxes of toiletries and such that had been 'dumped' in the bathroom.
At the farmhouse I kept two bathrooms fully stocked with toiletries, towels, an extra hair dryer. 
There is now a surplus of all such things awaiting the second bath in the lower level.

Extra sheets, blankets and quilts are stacked on closet shelves or still folded away in rubbermade bins.
Going through my collection of quilts it has occurred to me that I need to use and enjoy them!
Accordingly I spread my bed with a fresh quilt in springtime colors. 


This is what happens to quilts in this house.


The flip side of enjoying my quilts is recognizing they must be frequently laundered--and thus will 'wear out!'



Our neighbor/renter when we owned the Amish farm is a skilled plantsman.
He summers amaryllis bulbs in his garden in rich compost, brings them inside in the fall.
Most of them rebloom.
This lovely amaryllis was a gift from Dawn two Christmases ago.
Thanks to Fred's nurturing I can enjoy it again.
It is living in the sunroom which has been cool enough to prolong the bloom.


The men are concentrating on finishing the porches which flank the sunroom.
Soffit has been stained and put in place, discouraging the wrens who were planning to nest in the eaves.
Today in the trees visible from the porch--and through the great room windows--we have watched a pileated woodpecker going about his business.
I've encountered a pair of bluebirds flitting about as I walked up the lane to the mailbox.




The support posts and railings are being fashioned from trees cut on the property.
The bark is laboriously removed with a draw-shave, then the timbers are shaped to fit.
It is a pleasure to be in the new house.
I have to remind myself that the hours of each day--to say nothing of my stamina--are not sufficient for me to do all that I see needing done to make the settling in process complete.
I've unearthed some favorite books [in the last box I heaved out of the stack!]
and I'm allowing myself some [nearly] guilt-free time to collapse into a rocking chair, with books, mug of tea and whatever cat wishes to keep me company.
Eventually the work will all get done--or I will decide some of the tasks aren't really necessary.



14 comments:

  1. That is a lovely pink magnolia. What big pretty kitties you have. They look so cozy on your pretty quilt. If you had a couple more kitties their size you could have a live Quilt of Kitties.

    We had terrible winds here in Missouri. Many gusts of 55mph. I felt lucky that they didn't take any pieces of our house with them and we didn't have any tree damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie; When all six of the cats with indoor privileges decide to sleep with me I do have a quilt of kitties!
      I'm usually rather nervous if the wind gets blowing hard---it was blustery that evening, but my husband tracks storms on doplar and predicted that the worst of it would go around us.
      Gusts of 55 mph would be cause for worry!

      Delete
  2. The magnolia is really beautiful. I wonder if it couldn't be grown from cuttings. Might be fun to try. Those cats are making me so sleepy! Phil, MN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil; I wonder how a cutting would grow? It would probably take more years than I have left to reach a blooming size! When the dirt work is all finished around the house there will be landscaping to do. I'll be heading to my favorite of the local nurseries and may look for a hybrid magnolia.
    The cats want to be up and about before daylight--then they crash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three cats on one quilt, they are a cute picture. I like your magnolia, I have one too, which I planted a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra; I have enough cats to 'go around' for every quilt on a bed or chair! The more I consider the hybrid magnolia, I'm wanting one. Need to learn more about them.

      Delete
  5. I have quilt envy! That one is so beautiful and a Log Cabin I surmise. Added to the list of quilts to make here . . . They look perfect covered in cats : )

    Like you, I am realizing my physical limitations as I get older but we have so much to do in the garden (and house) to get it back on the market and I am having to work beyond what is sensible to try and achieve it. Even Keith has been roped in on the garden front!

    Gales of 55 are not to be sneezed at. We are fortunate at living on the slopes of a wooded valley - up on top it wouldn't be too much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; This business of physical limitations is most frustrating--but one I expect we must learn to accommodate!
      The Log Cabin Star setting has become one of my favorites. Notice all the cream/off-white fabrics involved--the easier to display muddy cat paw marks!

      Delete
  6. Love that magnolia!! I also enjoy hearing about your settling into your new home. The cats looks like they are adjusting quite well.

    Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; The cats are quirky about things. One of them, Edward, heads down to the area of the camper and has to be physically brought back 'home'. The others seem to accept the new house as the place of food, shelter and warmth.
      I'm anxious to begin landscaping--wanting to get it 'right.'

      Delete
  7. You have the rest of your life to get it all sorted out. Take care of yourself, says one Fibro patient to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbee; I've tried to make sure that 'fibro' doesn't define me--as you know too well, there are times when fatigue and aches triumph over will power. I rather think aging doesn't help!
      I'm encouraging myself to believe that each small task accomplished is worthy of note.

      Delete
  8. It's lovely to see your spring weather. We are still under snow here but it is leaving rapidly. I, too, am seeing birds looking for nesting spots and hoping our bird houses will soon be filled. We have a week of high temps and sun ahead which should make all the difference here. Your porch sounds wonderful, Looking forward to seeing it. Ours will be built in the summer months ahead. Love to all those darling cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb; It was a rather long grey winter here, but spring is now truly with us. There are still mornings and evenings when a fire in the woodstove is welcome.
      The sharing of house progress is fun--I hope the summer finds you in your new space.

      Delete