Sunday, May 20, 2018

Pottering


It has rained enough in the past several days to make garden work discouraging.  Weeds are burgeoning!   I have moved my gift hydrangea into a larger pot, teasing apart snarls of roots that were tangled in the bottom of the original plastic pot.  I understand that nursery plants are presented in cramped and outgrown containers [I worked years ago in two retail garden nurseries] both to conserve display space and to make the plants look appealingly 'full.' 
I suspect that too many folks toss out a plant when it begins to look shabby, when what is really needed is fresh soil and a larger pot so the roots can relax and spread. 

On the edge of the porch are my heirloom tomato seedlings meant for a later crop, rosemary seedlings which are growing very sluggishly and  muskmelon--again for a later crop.  We bought started plants of tomatoes, melons, cucumbers and green peppers which are nicely settled in the garden. 
The Yukon Gold potatoes are 'up,' sweet potato plants are in the ground.
Jim picked strawberries late this afternoon and requested they be served with maple syrup on waffles--an easy Sunday night supper.


Last summer a friend gave me a clump of spiderwort [tradescantia] from her parents' property.
It has settled nicely into the rather gritty sloping space below the concrete landing at the bottom of the stairs which lead from the side porch to the lower level.
The soil there is shallow--like most of the area which surrounds our house--I have set in daylilies and sturdy wildflower types gleaned from the hill pasture.


Between showers I worked at clearing the herb bed near the side porch steps.  I removed two dead lavenders and a purple sage which succumbed to winter cold and damp.  I have set in a new plant of common sage, tided the sprawling lavenders, yanked [crossly] at the ever invasive runners from the rugosa--which is not of my planting!


Heavy rain on Saturday afternoon and evening have spoiled the last blossoms of the clematis,
'Mr. President'.



These two photos were taken mid-week at the height of bloom.


Double-Pink Knock-Out, planted several weeks ago has started to bloom.


Heirloom peony--perhaps Sarah Bernhardt.


Double-Red Knock-out--a cliche', but sturdy and dependable!


Roses clipped as the rain began on Wednesday.


Two rain-battered peonies, a clutch of roses gathered at dusk this evening--after an hour of ripping away at the mugwort surrounding the peonies.


I must remember to take vases of flowers into the pantry before I go to bed--otherwise Mima-cat nibbles at them, pulling stems from the water and leaving them to languish.


Hawkeye Belle, petals only slightly marred by the rain.



4 comments:

  1. Your garden is far in advance of mine, though the recent sunshine is bringing things on and I have my first blooms on the Roserie de l'Hay. We are having hot May weather like we used to have 30 years ago, when we first moved here. It's LOVELY.

    I hope that your Paeonies get to bloom without being blighted by the rain as usual. Were the roses all your plantings or there alaready?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely blooms you have! Spiderwort is one of my favorite plants as it 'self sows', and I love the color.

    We've had rain everyday for a week down here in s.e. FL, with more expected. Grass is growing like crazy along with weeds and flowers, so that I'll need to mow and trim when everything dries out. It is nice though to see things looking so good.

    Have a good week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our rain has slacked off a bit, so I am finally getting some planting/landscape work accomplished. Best of luck with all of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks good. Sometimes I appreciate the "cliche" flowers more, because they're not so needy. I still have to plants the potatoes, so you are way ahead of me. I moved all of the peonies, that hadn't bloomed for the entire 19 years I've lived here, into a sunny spot, and I'm hoping they will do better there. But beauty is a waiting game, we'll see if they bloom. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete