Friday, April 27, 2018

Taking Stock of the Garden


 It has been a cold and laggardly springtime.  There has been rain--not hours of deluge, but bursts of rain varying from persistent drizzle to brief but heavy showers that drummed loudly on our metal roof. The wind, stirring through trees that have held the slightest promise of green leaves, has had a bite that would have seemed better suited to March.
The sun has appeared just often enough to give us assurance that it still exits.
We have kept a fire, letting it putter along, enough to keep out the damp chill.


Last year my heirloom clematis, 'Candida', opened a first blossom on 5 April and within a week the vine was covered in bloom. 
Night after April night this year, temperatures have dipped a few degrees below the freezing point;  I draped the trellis in an old tablecloth, using clothespins to hold it in place.  
Inevitably the cold seeped under and around the covering and  I have fretted over the many frost-blighted buds.



The undamaged buds are to be treasured!


This morning I counted five open blossoms. 


Fog was heavy this morning when I ventured out before 7. The bend in the lane, the lower farmhouse, stable, and even the nearer goat pastures were swathed in white mist.



Looking down the brook it appeared as though someone had flung sheer white handkerchiefs over grass and twigs.


Bobby Mac picked his way through the wet grass and weeds.


Frost has not damaged the invasive wild honeysuckle. 



At a little after 8, sunshine was vanquishing the mist--and my camera, on the second trip outside, decided to change to the correct date.


The tulip poplar which looms beyond the kitchen window is finally putting forth leaves.  It is usually the earliest dooryard tree to break dormancy.


The strawberry plants in the garden strip at the end of the lane have blossomed abundantly in spite of the cold. Vigorous new plants have formed from runners.
Both the strawberries and the raspberry canes have propagated themselves--without regard to proper boundaries.


Jim decreed that we should do some dividing and transplanting this noon--as well as attacking the weeds which seem to be perennial.
The sun was warm, the rich soil alive with earthworms.
The baby goats [belonging to our renters] had been brought out for the day to a newly enclosed area in front of the house.  Even the two youngest, born Monday, are ready to caper about, bouncing with the three older ones.  When they are tired, all five fold into a companionable heap--a quick nap before they are up and busy again. 

Back at the house, I made a raspberry milkshake--thick with vanilla ice cream--carried it out to the side porch where I have seedlings to transplant into larger pots: rosemary and foxglove. 
I sowed cantaloupe, an heirloom variety, and some of the seeds saved from neighbor Fred's large 'pink' tomatoes.  [He lost the label last year, so they have become 'Fred's Pink!']

Since i was already grubby, I decided to work in the perennial strip. It was a decidedly disheartening attempt to create order.  The soil there is still too damp and heavy to work up well--and the plantations of mugwort and other nameless weeds have flourished in spite of my dogged efforts to be rid of them.  The winter brought losses: none of the salvia survived.  There are other gaps--but I can't recall what should be there!
I've been eyeing the butterfly bush [buddleia] with misgivings--not wanting to accept winter-kill.  
F. was here on a errand when I was poking dolefully at it.  He snapped off twigs here and there, confirming my fears and recommending that it be cut back to just above the new growth appearing at the base of the stump.  Jim made short work of it with the chainsaw and I dragged off the dry grey branches.  I'm hopeful the new growth with be strong and there may be an autumn flowering.  In the meantime, that corner of the garden looks suddenly bare.

I feel that this is the season when I must find solutions for dealing with the weeds which have persisted through applications of mulch; then there are the weeds which clamber over and under the pasture fence to invade. 
Do I give in to my rickety knees, abandon the plants which have tenaciously survived? 
At such times I mourn the garden I created at our first Kentucky home--hours of work to maintain, but good soil,  better options in terms of space and sunlight. 
I daresay I will persist--try to find ways to grow the flowers I love--creaking, grumbling, but still gardening!

10 comments:

  1. "Old age never comes alone" was a much-used saying of my late ma-in-law and how right she was! I feel sorry for your creaking knees, and will trade you a creaking back - I know my limitations now, garden-wise, and we will choose a small plot when we eventually move. I will insist on a soft fruit patch though, and will still grow French and Runner beans, a few Peas and salad, in tubs if necessary.

    Like yours, our spring is laggardly and the weather still capricious - according to which forecast you believe, we are either in for a heat-wave next week or else a return to winter! The latter looks most likely according to the long range forecast for Carmarthen I've just looked at - 14 degrees if we are VERY lucky, but ranging from 4 - 10 mostly. NOT good for gardening.

    Like you, I have lost plants over the winter. Down the years I probably lose 25% of the newly-introduced perennials, as they just can't cope with the claggy wet clay and shale soil. The thugs, as always, flourish and I am currently digging out masses of a plant with maroon leaves and small yellow flowers which has outstayed its welcome. (Lysimacha). I am potting it up to sell at car boot sales and will buy something less invasive with the proceeds!

    Salvia doesn't do well here either. Slugs love it, which doesn't help its cause before we GET to winter!

    I must get my little baby strawberries from last year's runners planted in the raised bed in the yard. Oh, and buy some bird-proof netting to put over my Boysenberries - the birds have pounced literally the HOUR they ripen each year and I have yet to eat one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; It seems inevitable that we lose plants--some are with us for a few seasons and then mysteriously fail.
      There is something very doggedly determined about gardeners: we persevere in spite of creaking knees, aching backs, bugs, blight, etc.

      Delete
  2. You tell it so well - these days of our lives! I am quite sure you will succeed in your gardening endeavors. Why, just look at the beautiful clematis blossoms! And, just around the corner the tall spikes of the Foxglove will be something to admire again and again. (It is one of my forever favorites.) In the meantime, it seems you have the perfect antidote for garden weariness- a delicious raspberry milk shake! I'll be right over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chip; The clematis blooms which survived the multiple late frosts are especially cherished this year. The Spanish foxglove [deep pink] has reappeared for a third year--that is encouraging!

      Delete
  3. I also have bad luck with perennial salvia, it might live 2 years, then gives up. Your clematis is really quite nice. Mine hasn't peeked up yet, and I don't see any growth yet on the older vines. I can only hope. That Bobby Mac sure has a business-only demeanor. They are so funny! Nice post. Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil; I am comforted to learn that I'm not alone in losing salvia. I had thought of it as a sturdy plant. I have a new one to put in--the blue spikes are a real addition to the garden even if short lived. Bobby Mac [Jim's cat] has a very decisive personality.

      Delete
  4. Another lovely and interesting post about life in your gardens. That clematis is so pretty.

    It is starting to feel like summer here, although we were blessed with really cool mornings last week.

    Happy late Spring ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; Cool mornings in Florida must be a real blessing--the only time of day to be outside. I have fallen in love with clematis--I wish I had more length of fence to support more varieties.

      Delete
  5. A late spring here, as well, and like you I grieve for gardens of the past who thrived in marvelous soil. However, although the green explosion out in the garden is partly due to that dratted wild violet that has taken over lawn and garden, I was pleased to pick great rhubarb and plan a rhubarb and strawberry pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hildred; The gardens of my past were all labor intensive--I tend to see them in the rosy glow of remembrance; the difference, I suspect, was more physical stamina for gardening!
      Wild violet is everywhere here in our rough grass which isn't quite worthy of 'lawn' status. There was a feeble rhubarb plant here when we arrived--it didn't survive a hard winter. Strawberry/rhubarb pie used to be a fixture of spring.

      Delete