Thursday, July 7, 2011

Is There Room For Another...Kitten?



On Sunday morning Jim and I looked out the kitchen window and, in the classic double-take, looked again.
Willis the Cat was seen communing, almost nose to nose, with a small grey kitten-kind.
"Maybe," I said, none too hopefully, " Just maybe, it will go away."

Not a chance.
The kitten was spotted over the next days loitering warily at the door of the woodshed, whisking into the unwelcoming spidery murk whenever a human footfall approached.
We set out food and water--of course we did.

 
Last evening at 10 PM as I carried out cucumber peels and bean snippings from the days' canning, there sat the kitten.
A plaintive "mew" was uttered, a sort of query, I thought.

 
I put down the dish of vegetable scraps destined for the compost pile and "mewed" back. The kitten retreated into the gloom of the wood shed, but immediately reappeared to linger
 in the yellow circle cast by the yard light.
I brought out a tin of cat food [Fancy Feast Chunky Chicken] and shoved a saucer full toward the kitten. It darted forth, snatched a mouthful and dashed into the shed. Settling on my haunches I made encouraging sounds ["Nice kitten, here, kitty, kitty, mew."]


 
There ensued 45 minutes of coaxings [me]
advance and retreat-snatch chunky chicken--dash off--"mew, mew." [kitten].

The night air was cooler than the steamy kitchen; nocturnal sounds of insects and a sleepy whip-poor-will rested softly on my ears. The kitten flung itself down a mere two feet away, rolled,
 flexed small white-toed paws. It purred.

Still, whenever I moved a gentle hand in its direction our tentative rapport was broken. My efforts at winning the kitten's trust came to an end when a voice from the back door testily informed me that it was now 11:30 PM.


The woodshed doorway was first on my morning tour of the yard. A few moments of conversational "mewing" suggested that I was getting no farther in wooing the kitten--who by now had been identified as "he." I dragged the hav-a-hart trap from the barn, Jim baited it and we stood by frustrated as the kitten dashed in and out with impunity. Finally Jim was able to snap the door shut.

Kitten had a few berserk moments, bashing his nose on the bars. Jim put on heavy gloves [we've done this drill before!] and removed the small feline. Jim soothed him while I set up a roomy cage beside my desk, then I risked a cuddle with him while the neccessities of life were arranged.

A few days of 'socializing" should see him ready to enjoy life with the yard cats.

His name? He hasn't revealed that yet. [Unlike a certain well-known stripey fellow who rode in on a 4-wheeler, dismounted and drawled, "Hello--the name's Willis."

Meanwhile--anyone out there who speaks "cat" well enough to offer help in preparing a NO VACANCY sign?



 

11 comments:

  1. One cat leads to another, or so they say!

    He is a lovely little smokey chap, I;m glad you decided to keep him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure it's a he? This is exactly how Polly found us and then gave us the 4 little rascals...
    He's just beautiful, I know I couldn't resist him.
    Look forward to watching his progress
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I dont speak cat fluently enough but I know we have a sign some where, left by passing felines that says ..'Stop here if you need help'.
    This morning we were giving first aid to a stray who drops by every few days for food and a rest in the green house. He is very old, I think, maybe too old to fend for himself properly and there are too many younger males around who want his territory ...we call him Marvin....I wonder what your new arrival will be named??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Morning's Minion! They know where you live! Good thing you've got a barn -- and it's a good thing I don't live where you live or I'd be doing exactly the same thing! Please keep us up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweetie! They are so hard to resist. But, we have adopted 4 girls who were born on this property and we do not want any more. We've had our girls all fixed. The last one we 'thought' was a boy because of what looked like 'fuzz nuts' but 'he' turned out to be another girl. :-)

    Enjoy your new family member. I love that picture of you two together. He is held in the arms of love.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's another cat, MM.
    What a cutie.
    I have a huge welcome sign over my door, that's my problem.
    Keep us all up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't say no to a new kitten, either. He is adorable, does he look a little like Willis? Fun post. I LOL with the Willis comment :)

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah! There's an invisible sign up here too, saying "all cats welcome"!!! Someone needs to take it DOWN : )

    The new arrival looks a cuty. I bet he ends up with a more sensible moniker than "Little Whale" which is what Tam calls one of our boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, I think there must always be room for another kitten! What a darling little poppet :D I'd have him if I lived closer, but that's because I'm hopeless and will take in any stray.

    As for the sign, well maybe a picture of a big dog? Or just give up and accept that you're a cat magnet :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Sharon, there's no hope for you is there? (grins) and how lucky for 'little man' that that is so!!

    well done on giving him a home!! hope his poor little nose soon heals.

    Leanne x

    ReplyDelete