Monday, July 6, 2020

Raccoons on the Rampage



14th June, a Sunday, was perfect weather to putter outdoors. I had previously planted a clematis in the new garden, placing the trellis against the west wall.  In a few days it became obvious that the heat absorbed in the exposed concrete was too intense for the clematis.  Jim moved the trellis around to the wonky wooden fence below the east wall.  I replanted the unhappy clematis and put another beside it.  Both were sturdy little plants from a reputable mail order nursery; they had been grown on in the shelter of the greenhouse after arriving in early May. I tied the vines to the trellis and placed several flat rocks at the base.



This was the devastation that met my gaze when I went outside early Monday morning.
We decided that the rootling had been done by a raccoon. 
A raccoon visited the cat kibble feeder on the lower porch several times during late winter and we hadn't begrudged it the food.
Somewhat reluctantly we decided to bait the Hav-a-Hart trap.


The next morning we had the supposed culprit. Jim was loading the trap into the back of the pickup when I noticed that the raccoon was a female. Immediately we thought of nursing kits left to starve if we trucked their mom away. 'Its your plants, your choice what to do with the coon', said Jim, leaving me to decide.  My soft heart caved, hoping the attack on the clematis was a one-time mistake. We released the coon. Pondering the situation later, I recalled that the mother coon's nipples had been shriveled and dry as though her kits were already weaned.



Tuesday morning. Note that these pots were on the front doorstep.


Wednesday morning.

Thursday morning.

Friday morning, on the lower porch.


On Saturday morning this large and belligerent male was in the trap.
Howard hoisted the trap into his truck and we drove down narrow winding back roads to release the coon in an overgrown field. 
Subsequently we caught and transported two smaller raccoons.
There has been a heated discussion on the local online 'magazine' re dealing with unwelcome visitations from raccoons.
One writer stated that a friend loaned her a collection of 'rubber snakes' which discouraged nocturnal visits to planters and bird feeders.
Another contributor ranted against the practice of transporting coons to remote areas and rather self-righteously confessed that coons trapped on their property were taken to the farm of a friend who 'uses them to train his dogs.'  
Jim doesn't shoot animals, but I contend that a quick bullet would be a more merciful end than being turned loose to be torn apart by hounds in training!


I replanted the clematis vines twice before they were left to grow in peace.
I was able to salvage and re-pot most of the plants thrown about during Mr. Raccoon's nightly rampages. We have since seen a youngish coon mooching about on the front steps but it has caused no upsets. 
We've had visiting raccoons in other locations, never any who created havoc.
I've always considered them rather appealing with their pointy masked faces and bushy tails.
Since the destruction ended with the removal of the large male, I hope he was one of a kind.

I started this post using the new blogger format. I loaded 3 photos, couldn't load the remainder so reverted to the older format.











6 comments:

  1. I can understand your wanting rid of 'em! Looks like the big male might have been the culprit. Nothing like that our side of the pond, though we have had fox cubs pinching cat bowls before now.

    Glad your Clematis plants got to stay put finally. What names/colours are they? I have about a dozen or more around the garden here, and they are a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; We think the big male was the culprit all along and the destruction stopped when he was relocated. Both clematis are listed as shorter climbing varieties. The one on the right is "Edda" and has periwinkle blue flowers. On the left is "Samaritan Jo" with larger blooms, white with a lavender rim. I had to trim off broken bits of the vine, am hoping there will be a bloom or two in the fall.

      Delete
  2. I wonder why they would have been tearing up your flower pot plantings like that. Do you think the place where you bought them from possibly used fish emulsion fertilizer? I've never had that happen before around here (knock on wood). Years ago, about one time a year, our Collie and Sheltie used to manage to get a raccoon treed in our backyard persimmon tree, and I would have to bring them in until the raccoon went away, because the barking was obnoxious.
    I hope your rampaging raccoon problems are over and I am thankful that your ex-raccoons won't be used for dog training. It kind of hurts me to think about that happening to raccoons not so lucky as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie; Other than the small pansies and the clematis, I grew the plants from seed in the greenhouse and potted them in bagged mix to which I added perlite. The raccoon also rummaged about in the new raised bed visible in some of the photos--alongside the brick landing. We wondered if he was looking for grubs or earthworms--or was he simply a cantankerous creature [?]

      Delete
  3. Dastardly raccoons! I've not had any experience with them. I do have a slew of chipmunks that like to nibble on my young plants and also they are very fond of ripe tomatoes. Only one or two bites and then on to the next.The photos from your prior post show that you both have been mighty busy. I do love that newly created retaining wall and subsequent garden. I've had one good day to garden and it has drawn to a close; the humidity is returning with a vengeance and will be with us for the foreseeable future. The Black Caps are ripening here in Vermont and I have picked about two pints. I've frozen them and hope to pick a couple more over the next few days; enough to make a small batch of jam. Fingers crossed for your tomatoes as there is just nothing like a 'just picked' warm tomato with a sprinkle of salt......nectar of the Gods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess he was just cantankerous. He sure messed up your plants. Since we don't have our mostly outside dogs anymore, and our little Pomeranian is deaf now, I rarely notice racoons around here anymore, though I am sure they still feast on the persimmons. The last raccoon I saw was in the yard across the street in broad daylight acting very disoriented and strange. I called animal control, and made sure our Fuzzy Pom was up to date on all of his shots. I think that raccoon might have had distemper or something. Otherwise I often see them wedging their fat selves down into the storm sewer openings as I see their fluffy tails disappear.

    ReplyDelete