Thursday, September 26, 2019

Transition




All week the sunrise has been lovely, although it is still barely light at 7 a.m.



Sunsets have likewise been splendid.


On this Thursday morning, all was pearly grey. We hoped for rain, but there was only a misty drizzle, quickly over.
Looking up the lane I noticed hundreds of birds ranged along the wires.


I walked quietly up to the bend in the lane that designates our driveway.
Birds jostled for space, while still more alighted in trees along the boundary hedgerow to the east.
The air was full of their soft twitterings and the swoop of wings.


Not barn swallows as I first thought, but tree swallows. Our neighbor has placed several nest boxes on fence posts along the lane, which the swallows are pleased to occupy.
Later, walking to the mailbox, I found a single blue tinged feather laying on the stubbly grass.


Bedraggled sunflower heads.


Zinnias are faded.


This one was a brilliant red-orange.


Leaves are drifting down along the drive; the cool air has a tang of woodsy dampness; a faint breeze stirs.


Willis, my ever faithful companion on walks. This has been his 10th summer.
He is still lean and supple, still the overseer of the property.


At the edge of the open-ended barn, a nest had fallen from the ledge above the entrance
It has a mud-daubed base, but has been sturdily wound into shape with fine stems, twigs and bits of moss, lined with soft down.



A balloon flower bud, so intricately veined.


A 'balloon' bud ready to spread its petals.


I miss the autumn proliferation of  New England Asters which grow wild on roadsides and in old pastures in my native Vermont. Here, the tiny frost asters bloom, but the purple beauties must be purchased as garden plants. There were no purple ones at my favorite local nursery in the spring, only some of a garish 'hot' pink. 
This one, Raydon's Purple came from Select Seeds--the only one in stock when I ordered.


Cockscomb in all its brilliant velveteen glory. There are seeds for a few million plants!
Temperatures are meant to climb again this weekend, but the days are shortened, giving way to cooler nights.  The equinox has passed and autumn is slowly moving in.

10 comments:

  1. I love the cockscomb; my mother used to have these. Some people don't like them and just this week one woman was complaining about the number of seeds they produce. But, I don't care for the "love-lies-bleeding" plant, a relative of the cockscomb. It resembles the wicked weed that grows inside the cattle lots and in the pastures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red Hen; At the Amish farmhouse each spring I pulled up dozens of cockscomb seedlings, leaving the most vigorous ones that had started where they would best neat the porch. I know there will be thousands--maybe millions?--of seeds from this group, but I won't allow them to 'take over.' I think I know the pasture weed you mention--very invasive.

      Delete
  2. It feels very autumnal here now - a week of rain after last week's mini-heatwave (MUCH enjoyed). I am gradually doing the autumn clear up but hope Tam can spare some time to help when she returns on Sunday/Monday.

    Our Swallows were lined up like your ones, a month ago now. They left the next day or so and the Juveniles stayed until about 10 days ago. I miss them so. They are the sort which nest in barns and stables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; I've been more familiar with barn swallows--those with the apricot coloring on the breast feathers. Although the tree swallows have been a presence all summer, the size of the gathering yesterday was amazing.
      We are in for another heat wave--summer doesn't want to let go!

      Delete
  3. When I see birds lining the power lines like in your pictures it is always because it is cold here, and even colder up north where they came from. I always like seeing them up there, doing their little bird moves. I love your cockscomb, such a pretty flower and to think you get gobs of seeds too.

    Happy Autumn ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; I should offer to share the seeds so everyone can have cockscomb! Thankful for cooler and longer nights--daytime is still too hot for fall!

      Delete
  4. When I see birds lining the wires, I feel an urgency to finish up summer's work. They do make a nice picture, I think. This morning I felt as though I just couldn't hold off much longer in cleaning up the fast-fading summer's annuals, then...a butterfly came flitting and fluttering along here and there through the garden. So...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hill Top: I tend to let seed-bearing annuals stay in the garden until a hard frost--and leave many of the coneflower heads for the winter as finches seem to appreciate them. We are still seeing an abundance of butterflies.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful place. It almost seems that Fall has hit you down there before us up here in MN. Our weather is much cooler, but the trees are slow in turning, although finally the maples are starting. Willis is certainly a good pal along walks on country paths. My kind of kitty. Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil; Willis has always been a great 'help' on any outdoor ventures!
      Re fall: mornings and evenings show the change of season, but we are still hot and dry. A 20 degree drop predicted for Friday--we shall see!

      Delete