Thursday, March 14, 2019

In The Midst of Moving


A windy sunrise this morning [Thursday--although my camera never immediately updates.]
It hasn't been helpful to have the time change occur in the middle [muddle!] of shuffling from one abode to the other.
We have been sleeping in the house for a week, although the electricity wasn't turned on until Tuesday. At present there are several lights not 'on' which the electrician has agreed to fix.
The kitchen is installed.  SIL Matt has ordered the materials for the counter-tops which he will make at his work place.
One corner cupboard didn't meet my expectations, but our innovative family carpenters made it work.
I have been shuntering between the camper and the house, lugging boxes, baskets and such, clearing the fridge in the camper. 
We are still using the clothes dryer in its temporary location in the shed. After many trips up and down the lane I succumbed to using the car to convey laundry and other loads.
We have become weary, snappish.



Our sleeping habits have evolved to a point where we keep each other awake more often than not when we share a bedroom.  The solution has been to plan 'side-by-side' rooms--close enough for 'companionship' but giving each of us the space to be more comfortable.
When I don't sleep [happens frequently] I can turn a light on to read without waking Jim.

The cats are delighted with the arrangement!  They can prowl from one bed to the other.
The cats are still feeling the strangeness of the new house.

Boxes have come in from the storage trailer all needing to be sorted.
Some items will no longer be useful in our more compact space.
I am rather over-whelmed with the need to sort and designate locations for everything.

Howard, who has betaken himself home for a few hopefully restful days, has reminded me that wearing ourselves out and becoming 'ugly' serves no good purpose!
Rather than reviewing the lengthy 'to be done' list, we need to concentrate on 'one day at a time!'

I'm coming to grips with the fact that it might take a month or more to have the house in good order.
[The ground floor living space won't be finished immediately, so there is that to consider.]


I placed Grampa Mac's rocking chair by the west bedroom window.
For a few days I have enjoyed the effect of minimal furnishings: bed, chair, night stand.
Today we have shuffled those to make room for my large double dresser. 
If I can accomplish sorting clothes into the drawers and the shelves of my ample closet that may be sufficient accomplishment for the day.
Jim is outside, roaring about on his backhoe.
The wind is blowing like mad.
The wicker bench much loved by the outside cats has been conveyed to the sheltered lower porch of the house.
Willis, sensible cat that he is, immediately took up residence there.
Sally-the Troll-Cat is being recalcitrant.

Bobby /Robert napping on Jim's bed.


The empty cupboard in the living area provides a place of retreat.

I am off with a load of 'stuff' to sort into the house.
I must practice the recommended mantra:" It will get done when it gets done!"

7 comments:

  1. Oh dear Sharon ~ You and Jim are in my prayers that you both will relax and let the 'petty' irritations go. They can seem monumental at times, but in the overall scheme of things, they are petty. I have a sticky note on my monitor screen, 'Kindness matter so be kind'. I realized right after losing Mark that so many things we were 'ugly' or grumpy about were petty, not all that important. Love is the important thing.

    You and Jim have done a monumental job building this new home as quickly as you did. I am AMAZED! I am proud of you both, for the work and your time of 'camping' in the trailer with your feline family.

    Take things one day at a time, one box at a time, making this new home into your forever home on this planet. From the photo bits of the inside of your home and the felines that occupy the space with you, it looks lovely. I look forward to seeing more pics.

    Love, hugs & prayers for you both ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. WhooHoo!!! I'm so delighted for you both! Now that you have proper beds to sleep in and are getting some quality sleep, all the rest will fall into place! What doesn't get done today will just have to wait until tomorrow or the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon...I am so happy for you that you are slowly moving in to your new home. I really felt for you when you were becoming tired of the trailor and wondering how long you would be there. And the cats are so cute getting their scent on the important things. I can't wait to see your home finished and all set up for contentment. We are still working on ours as it is just Gary and my son-in-law helping when it works for him doing the inside work. I help where I can. The kitchen and main bathroom are done and the guys are tackling getting the main room finished next week. We hope to be in soon. Keep the photos coming and hugs to all the gorgeous kitties. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all seems to have happened so quickly but I'm sure it hasn't. We sleep in separate rooms and it works well, took a bit of doing as we had slept together for 50 years but we both feel better for a good nights sleep.
    Good luck with the rest of the moving.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your reality is my present reality as well, my friend. I can so relate. Only problem is that I'm moving in to a rental until we find our next (hopefully) forever home. We have had occasion to fall to our knees many times in order to remain united. Truly, the purpose of marriage is to help each other make it to heaven; moving hastens the progress!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking forward to seeing those first photos in your new home. It is beautiful. I love the floors! What a great idea to place the bedrooms side-by-side so you are still together, but apart too. Also, I love the quilt on your bed. Is that one of your creations?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the colors you chose. Seems very tranquil, but not dreary.

    ReplyDelete