Friday, October 19, 2018

Thursday's Photos


This was the early morning view on Wednesday and Thursday. Proper October days with chilly mist at dawn followed by blue skies and sunshine. Good weather to advance the work on the new house.


I drove to the South Fork community to shop. I needed only a few things at the whole foods store, but also bought some bakery items for the men to enjoy with coffee break.  I will miss baking while we are in the camper, but the kitchen space is small as is the propane oven. 

The displays outside the produce market featured every possible variety of pumpkins and squash.  Many of these are heirloom treasures, not readily found.



White pumpkins don't seem 'normal' but they were appealing, the skins smooth and pearly.

Squash or pumpkin?


I think these are the gourds used locally for bird houses--not sure as I haven't seen spotty ones before.


A visual feast of shapes and colors!


Decorative Indian corn hanging from the rafters in a hoop house.


The mottled pumpkin on the left was unique--no others quite like it.



Warts and all!


Cushaws, a southern edible.


$35 for this giant planter of mums.




Local transportation.


Back at home, the resident builders have been inspired by the arrival of three [!] sunny days!


Howard measures and cuts, while Jim nails floor joists.

There's going to be a house here!


My questions and comments aren't very welcome at this point in the process. The building site is noisy with the roar of the air compressor, whine of saws, the rap-zap of nail guns.

I have been rummaging in the storage trailer--again--with somewhat disheartening results.
Why do we have so much stuff?  [Why is so much of this 'stuff' mine?]  
Rhetorical questions!

While rummaging on Wednesday, a dining room chair toppled from the highest wobbly tier of goods, glancing off the side of my head and skidding across my shoulder.
I labeled the top of each box I packed; most are stacked so high I can't read my labels.
I haul down a box or plastic bin, can't get it back into position.

The battery charger for my camera has gone missing. It has lived for several years in a particular drawer in the kitchen--handy to an electrical outlet. When we travel I slip the charger [its about 2 inches square] into one of the pockets of my handbag.
In the mayhem of moving I didn't think to do that. 

I've pawed through the bin which I loaded to bring into the camper--desk items that I will need for the next several months. I've over-turned and up-rooted every space and box which might contain the charger.
I balk at ordering a new one [which would likely result in the old one turning up] but my days of recording the building progress will be numbered without my camera.
What to do!  Bang head, wail!

4 comments:

  1. I think you are going to love living on Turkey Ridge. All the discomforts of getting there will soon be a thing of the past. And, what fun to have your son staying there to help. I do hope you find the camera charger so there can be lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sympathies on the loss of your vital charger which, as you rightly surmise, will only turn up when you have gotten a new one!! It looks like good progress is being made now the weather is on your side. I hope you have several dry weeks so that Jim and Howard can catch up.

    I really loved seeing all those different pumpkins and squashes. Were you tempted to buy one? Tam grew a new-to-her one called Buttercup (as opposed to Butternut) which was great to cook with. She also grew some lemon coloured (and shaped) cucumbers which she bought me a box of - they are somewhat prolific! I have gently suggested Ridge cucumbers are easier to cope with, produce-wise . . .

    I have realized, from recent foraging about the house that I too, have far too much "stuff" and am going to be ruthless - well, a BIT ruthless! - in the coming weeks, and have a cull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your post dear Sharon ~ Glad you are having three days of good weather for the guys to be able to work on new house. The work is coming right along. I'm impressed.

    Love all of those pumpkins, squashes and gourds. Colorful and interesting.

    Hope you find your battery charger!

    Have a wonderful weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always found that the quickest way to find a lost object is to buy a new one. Sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete