Saturday, August 11, 2018

Views Around Our New Property



I loaded photos several evenings ago and was too tired to write captions.
Some of the hours that I spend there are waiting to be useful [holding an end of measuring tapes as Jim lays out the spot for the foundation of a new house.]
Wild turkeys are prolific--we see them each time we are there.
The property address is 'Turkey Flatt'--perhaps the extra 'T' is meant to look elegant!
The above was a zoom shot looking toward the eastern property line which is marked by a fence behind the hedgerow.


Weather hasn't been really pleasant here this week--sultry heat even when the sky is overcast, frequent showers, followed by steamy sunshine.
I took this photo as I drove in the lane--a longer private roadway connects the three lots that make up Turkey Flatt to the main road above.


Jim has always done his own site excavation preparatory to pouring a concrete foundation.
While he no longer has the equipment to pour the foundation, he has been trolling craigslist for weeks to find a backhoe to meet his requirements.
He found this one early on Wednesday, located 2 hours away in Tennessee and invited me to ride along for the purchase.
The sky was increasingly dark and as we reached our destination a storm broke with rumbles of thunder, wind and lashing rain. An hour later, the storm over, Jim had completed his 'wheelin and dealin', the machine was loaded and we trundled home.


Jim is never happier than when 'digging' in the dirt.
Here he is opening a trench for new water and power lines.
As there was formerly a house on the property--sited beyond the backhoe--a strange choice--electric and water service is there, but needing to be rerouted for our chosen building site.



Waiting to be useful, I wander around the property, camera in hand, trying to visualize it as the place where we will live.
The open lay of the land narrows as it reaches the western boundary, with a sloping ravine on either side. Joe Pye weed is in full and heady bloom down the bank with goldenrod beginning to show color.




The shaggy pink flower heads were alive with butterflies, mostly swallowtails.  My zoom lens didn't pick them up clearly and I wasn't about to go slithering down the bank through the weeds.

A black swallowtail in a clump of ironweed.

This swallowtail posed nicely for a split second.




Wild ageratum. 
The prospect of creating a new house is exciting, even knowing that it entail months of work.
The too familiar reality of packing up our current home when the time comes, is daunting--exhausting even to contemplate.


18 comments:

  1. What a lovely site to build your new home. I'm excited to see it take shape. Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat; It is an appealing site--we just need to 'civilize' it a bit!

      Delete
  2. LOVELY to see where you are going to live. You have a goodly shelter belt of trees around it, and I can see how it got its name now too!

    When you said you were going to check out a back hoe, I imagined an implement which fitted to a digger, not the entire vehicle itself!

    Joe Pye Weed takes me back 20 years when I purchased seeds from Suffolk Herbs to try and grow it but they didn't materialize. A very similar wild flower grows along the lanes here - Agrimony. I could have saved myself some money!! Those Swallowtail butterflies look so exotic - here I've only seen them in Butterfly Houses.

    The land has a good feel to it, and I hope you will be very happy there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie; I've several times purchased hybrids of Joe Pye meant to be more compact and suitable for a border. Each time they have failed to thrive. The wild variety is towering this year with all the rain.
      Swallowtails in both the yellow and black modes are very common here.

      Delete
  3. Wow, the work is moving right along on your new property. This will be exciting, watching your new home come to be from the ground up. The property is wonderful, turkeys great, and flowers and butterflies filling the area with beauty. Thanks for sharing dear Sharon.

    Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; Thank you for encouraging words! I veer between excitement at the project and misgivings over finding the stamina to do my part! Its a time of transition.

      Delete
  4. I envy you that Joe Pye Weed. I've read it grows in wet areas. With so much rain this year, it should be happy everywhere. Lovely post, thank you for the update. Jim looks happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbee; Jim is indeed happy--I suspect he was getting bored with tractor restoration. He loves the process of designing and building a house. Joe Pye Weed is everywhere in abundance this year--great mop-heads of bloom.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful site, how long will it take to build your house? I have Joe Pye Weed in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet; The building process will depend on when the sale of our present house takes place--we'll only go as far as we are financially comfortable. If all goes well, six months should see us in the house.

      Delete
  6. So exciting. I imagine you are making this house to suit your needs exactly. I shall look forward to see it taking shape.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briony; We're planning this house to a size and layout that should be comfortable for our elder years--less space to maintain, but thought out for ease of house keeping.

      Delete
  7. I think you are going to love living on Turkey Flatt! If the butterflies love it there, surely you will too! I think with the two of you on the job, everything will move along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chip; I think we'll enjoy the location--less than 5 miles from our present home, but with more open land and what appears to be good gardening soil.
      Obviously I have a less hands on role in the building of a house--I like to think I lend some styling details, offer encouragement [and occasional criticism] and in general I trudge behind to 'pickk up the pieces!'

      Delete
  8. It looks like there is quite a bit of progress already. Will be fun seeing things move along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil; Jim has asked me to keep a photo journal of progress on the house--so hopefully my sharing won't become tedious.
      I suspect there will be times when things will move along rapidly and other times when we are held up waiting for supplies or favorable weather.

      Delete