Monday, January 27, 2014

Walking Along Big Creek [Post # 700!]

The ford at Big Creek.

I huddled in my rocking chair before dawn on Saturday morning, listening to the shriek of the wind in the chimney.
I had letters to write, a mug of tea on the small table beside me.  Several of the cats demanded 'out', so I went to the sliding door that opens onto the back yard. 
The yard light mounted over the garage door cast a yellow-green pool of illumination that faded off into the dark fields beyond. Snowflakes skirled and danced.  The boy-cats teetered on the step, ears flattened against the south wind that ruffled their fur and rattled through the frost-seared leaves of sage and lavender in the herb garden.
Pulling the heavy curtain across the door, I hurried to put another chunk of wood in the stove.
I wrinkled my nose, squinted my eyes at the puff of acrid smoke which sifted into the room.

The scent of a wood fire in early winter is homey, comforting, an aromatic tang that speaks of enclosing warmth and welcome shelter.
By late January, with fires stoked round the clock during a siege of frigid weather, the house has taken on a faintly bitter odor of smoldering coals and the sharp stale bite of the smoke which furls forth in that instant when the stove door is opened.
We notice it mostly when we have been outdoors breathing cold winter air and then step inside.


Ice in the middle of the creek.

Daylight came slowly, a murk of grey overlaid with a thick veil of  falling snow.
The cats were happy to scamper inside to the warmth when I held open the back door, bracing myself against the gale.
Nellie looked at me with his wide owl-y eyes, seemingly amazed by the snow melting into his long fur.
Bobby's feet were cold, his tail swishing with indignation.
Charlie flung himself onto my towel-covered sewing box near the fire, as out of sorts as though the early venture into the cold had been forced upon him.
I stood at the window watching the rapidly whitening road and dooryard, thinking of long Vermont winters, of ice-coated windshields and hazardous, though mercifully short, commutes to work.

Sunshine and shadows on cold water.

The storm blew itself out by noon, leaving soggy snow heaped beneath a pewter sky.
We ate lentil soup and cinnamon bread, sat by the fire.
A hint of color glowed behind the woods as dusk came on.


The creek ripples around a patch of snow-crowned ice.

The sun sailed aloft in a brilliant blue sky on Sunday, snow melted in the warmth of a January thaw.
There was a freshness in the air which lured me outside.
I pegged a small quilt on the line where it billowed gently.
The ground squelched beneath my boots as I crossed the yard, averting my eyes from the frost-ravaged  herb garden.
The shimmer of sunlight on the loop of Big Creek lured me across the road, my new camera on its strap around my neck.

The water is shallow here, running over the flat seamed rock of the creek bed.
The leafless trees loom over their distorted reflections.

I thought of working on quilt blocks this afternoon, but the delight of remaining outside on a mild day after weeks of enduring cold trumps returning to the stuffy house.
Walking along the road I wonder why I've never noticed the thick vine which clambers up this tree trunk.

The vine twists toward the top of the tree.
How many years have gone into its upward growth?

Treetops against the sky.

Moss cloaks the nearly horizontal trunk of a tree above the creek.

The road runs southerly along the base of a ridge,  flanked on the opposite side by a wide meadow.
The creek has made a loop away from the road.
On the shaded side of the road a grey bird bounces and scuffles, creating a tiny commotion beneath a sagging wire fence.
By the time I have the camera focused it has turned tail, ready to fly away.

Big Creek slices through the field to flow under the bridge above the Kemp farmstead.
Ice over the water is spongy, fragile.

I had thought to turn toward home at the bridge, but I am within sight of Matt and Gina's house, so I walk along, greeted in the driveway by the bustle of their dog.
Gina is in the back yard, gathering up twigs brought down by yesterday's wind.
Before we have time for more than a few words Jim wheels into the yard. 
He strides toward us, huffy.
'You didn't tell me you were going for a walk!'
He is indignant.
I decide that accepting a ride home is the judicious thing to do.
Jim  continues to sputter--about the vulnerability of women who walk along the road alone.
'It is daylight,' I protest, 'And surely I'm of an age that wouldn't appeal to an abductor!'
As I exit the van at our back door, Jim remarks, 'Now that you're here, I need you to drive the Massey to tow the John Deere into the shop--it won't start.'
I put my camera in the house, trudge up the lane to the barn, climb aboard the red tractor, watching while Jim attaches a tow strap to the green tractor behind me.
I wonder, but forebear to comment: perhaps J.'s concern for my where-abouts was more to do with needing me to tow the tractor than with the threat of being accosted by a malevolent thug on my Sunday stroll of a mile in the sunlight!




8 comments:

  1. Post 700! Congratulations, I'm barely half that far.
    Just remember: There are people in the world who have no one to be concerned about them no matter how much danger they're in.






















































    ReplyDelete
  2. John; It has taken me well into my 6th year of blogging to achieve the 700 posts, so I'm not the most prolific of bloggers.
    You've a good point in mentioning those who have no one to notice or care if they go missing. I have walked alone all of my life--in fields and woods and back roads in most of the places where we have lived. I suppose the world, even the rural parts of it, are less safe than in former years, and I am more vulnerable in some ways. At any rate I was retrieved this time and fetched home--outwardly meek and chastened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your 700 posts. What a lovely walk you had, and your Prince Charming came and carried you home.

    In our area, I'm not comfortable at all walking alone. I did enjoy walking in the botanical garden alone, although I really missed my DH. I may do it again for my birthday this year.

    Hope you have a good, warmer and calmer week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainey; Isn't it sad that it is no longer 'comfortable' or really safe to walk alone in our own neighborhoods. Violence can be so random. Botanical gardens are lovely places at any time of year. I'm sure memories of your husband walk beside you everywhere you go.

      Delete
  4. I love the smell of a wood fire, that's the one thing I miss with our propane fireplaces. It does feel good to get out in the fresh air after being stuck inside. I fear you get up much earlier than I do, being up at 6am this morning felt like getting up in the middle of the night.
    Loved your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet; I'm usually out of bed rather early, but this spell of unusual cold weather has dislodged any 'schedule' we might have made.
      Of all places, one wouldn't think that Savannah would be this cold in January!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely expression 'moss cloaks' is. I will remember that as most trees here wear them.

    Congratulations on your 700th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 700 posts - well done! That`s a lot of writing.....

    I can feel the cold in your photos and your beautiful descriptions.
    How good it is to see blue sky once in a while during a long winter.

    ReplyDelete