Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Day After Snow


This is the quilt I finished at desparate speed so that our machine quilter would have it ready as a Christmas gift for our son and his lady.  It is one of the many Log Cabin/Courthouse Steps variations.  I know the pattern as Primitive Log Cabin.  Simple---but a lot of stitches to chug around all those "logs."

Our clever long-arm machine quilter created a medallion motif for the center of each block and used a meandering leafy pattern for the outer logs and border.

I love the muted earthy colors I associate with New England autumn and these shades prevail in the quilt.

Jemima knows that her presence enhances any quilt photo.

She has very soft plushy fur.

Eggnog is not vain, she simply likes to keep me company.

We are tired from roaring up and down the new stairs, so a nap is in order.  The cats know exactly where the in-floor heat pipes run---favorite warm places.

Several of the paperwhite blossoms are ready to push through the thin green sheaths--full bloom time should be at the New Year.

Teasel has decided to be invisible.

At noon the sun has finally broken through the white shroud of cold mist.

Snow on twigs.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Quilt and wonderful, loving gift! The snow is gorgeous and so are the felines!
    MERRY Christmas Sweetie! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is beautiful, I love it. The quilter did a fabulous job. I'm sure your son and his ladyfriend will love it too. Our snow is melting now, I guess that's it for another year! Kath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas MM.Thanks for all your comments. Hope 2010 is good to you and yours.

    regards.......Al.


    ps. beautiful cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is beautiful, I love those soft muted colours. Your son and his lady will be thrilled. The photo of Teasel made me smile:) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely quilt, and I agree with you about the colours, carefully complimented by pusscats! I am sure it will be well-received.

    I hope you are having a lovely day. We have yet to eat, so will bring a good appetite to the table!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt! I'm sure it will be appreciated. Certainly Jemima and Eggnog look gorgeous on it. The three cats on the throw rug look so cozy...they must love the radiant heat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Late on Christmas Eve I made a pair of pillowcases to match the gift quilt---felt rather pleased with myself. I understand the quilt is going to have a place of honor on the guestroom bed.
    The cats, who are usually involved in everything I do, are giving us the cold shoulder this evening as payback for leaving them over the weekend. They emerged for their "tea"--which was a gift of specialty canned cat food from Heidi. They gobbled it and then stalked off with great dignity---not to be mollified with a mere offering of treats!

    ReplyDelete